Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 3.7L i5
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I got the notice from OnStar a while ago that my '09 Colorado would lose its OnStar connectivity due to 2G networks going down in favor of 4G and 5G, and that to keep services (with caveats) I have to put this 'Link' into my OBDII sensor. I was wondering if you need to have your cell phone in the car for OnStar to continue to work, since the OnStar FAQ says I need to pair it to the Onstar Guardian app? I have the Safety and Security plan, but have not bothered to download the Guardian app, and I am mainly worried that if my truck gets stolen that without my cell phone inside I could not get OnStar to remote stop my truck, and/or whether the service would not work if I was out of cell service range.

If these problems are relevant, what are others doing to either protect their truck from theft and/or have emergency services available while off-roading? Just curious of other's ideas; thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Hello all!

I got the notice from OnStar a while ago that my '09 Colorado would lose its OnStar connectivity due to 2G networks going down in favor of 4G and 5G, and that to keep services (with caveats) I have to put this 'Link' into my OBDII sensor. I was wondering if you need to have your cell phone in the car for OnStar to continue to work, since the OnStar FAQ says I need to pair it to the Onstar Guardian app? I have the Safety and Security plan, but have not bothered to download the Guardian app, and I am mainly worried that if my truck gets stolen that without my cell phone inside I could not get OnStar to remote stop my truck, and/or whether the service would not work if I was out of cell service range.

If these problems are relevant, what are others doing to either protect their truck from theft and/or have emergency services available while off-roading? Just curious of other's ideas; thanks in advance!
On-Star will rarely shut down your truck in the event it is stolen. They may tell you where it’s at but they need a pretty specific criteria to shut down your truck remotely.

I personally recommend removal of On-Star. It’s useless imho.

·
Internet Troll
1,405 Posts
Never used on-star in the old truck, except when it was free for the first whatever period. New truck doesn't have it at all. Nice to not have the antennae making a hole in the roof.

Reactions: Link4707

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
Hello all!

I don't have an answer to your OnStar issue. The truck has a Theft Deterent system built in. Apparently, from the number of guys that have had their trucks immobilized by PassLock, the system works. Sometimes at the wrong time! Where I live the 1st generation Colorados are not even an interest for car thieves. I can't imagine that anywhere in the country one of these trucks would be considered worth stealing. I have a V8 and don't spend any time thinking it will get stolen.

Like the others, I have no desire to be connected to OnStar and pulled the fuse on the day I picked it up from the Dealer. I don't understand the need to have a cell phone in the truck for OnStar to work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts