Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yes, shopping for opinions for a system, so here we go! Help, advice, criticism, etc is all welcomed....Truck is an 06 Xtreme EC

Current have's:

Avic D3
Phoenix Gold MQ430 4ch amp
JL Audio 10W3D4's (2 but only using one for this truck) Super big thanks to BigTryt who has a bitchin box!!!

Here's what I need:

door speakers (front components, rears will be coax's for simplicity)
Sub amp

Ok, so, down to a couple choices.....

Infinity Kappa 6020CS components (and matching coax's for the rear doors)

Polk Audio db6500 components (again, matching coax's for rear doors)

opinions? The Polk db's have a ton of good reviews on Crutchfield, the Inifinities don't have that many reviews, but the ones there are positive... Remember these will be amped off the MQ430, so a 2ohm set will be roughly 60watts RMS, so these exceed my amp specs.....

Also on the amp front, still looking for a good single or 2 channel amp for the sub....The sub is rated for 275watts RMS, and is DVC, so I may just run them parallel like I did previously and bridge an amp if its 2 channel (the sub is 4 ohm, so the amp should be able to be stable to 1 ohm or whatever that works out to?). I am only using 1 sub......

Please correct me if my math is totally wrong.....TIA

·
Registered
24 Posts
I like Polk over Infinity, but personal preference should always be considered over an outside opinion. ;) Infinity just seems to have gone to shit the last few years, but again, that's just my opinion.

As far as your sub amp goes, if your running two 4 ohm voicecoils parallel, you'd see a 2 ohm load...I would go with an MTX or a Kicker amp, I've always had luck with those.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, purchased door speakers. Went with Infinity Kappa 60.7cs components for the front, and Infinity Kappa 62.7i coax's for the rears. These are a step up from the 6020cs and the 6221 coax's I was looking at, and for only about $15 dollars more on Ebay, the otherwise $200 difference in the sets (combined) I think was well worth it.

I was really leaning towards the Polk db's, but their lack of availablity on Ebay was one factor, and the Infinities are 2ohm sets, so they make my amp more useful!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, already have the sub worked out....Had 2 JL 10W3D4's sitting in my basement...will be putting one of them to good use again!

Glad to hear the coax's are ok....I wasn't too keen on going with coax's even for the rear, but with just little jumpseats back there I wasn't too worried about soundstaging in the rear as much, just some mid fill to work with the components up front....Now the waiting begins, I hate waiting for stuff on ebay

·
Registered
36 Posts
Two words.... Rockford Fosgate

I love Rockford speakers/amps. Both of my vehicles have killer Fosgate Systems, my 1972 Chevelle SS and my '06 'Rado... Nothing sounds like a HX2 and 2 P2 10s right behind your head. Except maybe a Power Stage 2.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not very keen on newer Phoenix stuff since the company changed hands roughly 9 years ago.....I'll stick with the old school A/B amps only....

My components showed up today, so thats nice, still hunting for a sub amp, but that can certainly be installed at a later date....Everything's here! Time to install!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts