Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am amazed that my 2005 is still going strong on the original battery. 125K miles. I am probably hexed now by posting this. It started last winter 15 below zero. Will see if we get thru another winter on it.
Are others seeing batteries last a long time in these trucks?

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Yeah new batteries are generally have 4-5 life.

I was on the way back from the beach this year when the battery started to go. Once I got home I load tested it.....it was toast.

I would encourage you to replace before the super cold weather kicks off. Batteries never pick a convenient time to fail.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
-Two options, temp fate and risk being stuck out in the cold because the battery failed.
-Purchase a new battery BEFORE winter and rest assured it will work day after day through the winter.

Remember, last winter was almost a year ago.....that's a lot of heat cycles, an a lot of starting days between then and now.

But to answer your question. no I have never seen a battery last that long.
In THESE trucks, they seem to last a little below average from my understanding.
You are the original vehicle owner I assume?

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
I spoke with a tech at Sport Chevrolet about a month ago.........48 months is the battery average with all of the electronics in these vehicles

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
I got 3½ years and 36,277 miles out of my 2011 truck battery. No indications, no warnings, just suddenly a clicking starter.

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
Luck has a tremendous factor with buying a battery to be honest. I've been selling batteries for over 6 years now. The oldest I've ever seen was 12 years old. Thats like seeing a unicorn..... Advance Auto Parts Titanium (Gold Series now) battery 78 group side post that came out of a Chevy 1500. Factory batteries as well as aftermarkets like everyone says typically last 4-5 years on average. Anything over that is sheer luck. I'd recommend buying a new one before winter when it puts you down. They have a nasty habit of picking the worst times to quit on you

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I remember getting a jump start at lunch time at 15 degrees so I could get a new battery over lunch. :)

Drove to the parts store, left the truck running while I went in to purchase said battery. Back to work and changed it in the parking lot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am the second owner, but bought it with 23K miles. I have to leave it in...have to see how far it will go. I know it will quit at the worst possible time...but I gots to know.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
In summer '11 I was thinking it was past time for me to replace the OE battery in my '05.
I intended to do it, but had been working long hours 7 days per week for months and just didn't get around to it.

Then I had a camping/touring trip planned with my ex-girlfriend, my first time off for nearly two years. We traveled from central Virginia down into North Carolina, camping and hiking for days on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

We got off into some pretty remote areas off the parkway, on logging roads and such, deep into the western North Carolina mountains. After 12 days of this we hit the road for the 8-hour return to Charlottesville, Virginia.

About 30 miles out, at about midnight I stopped for gas on I-64, then we made it into her apartment parking-lot in town.
Next morning the truck wouldn't start.... dead battery.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
My original 04 battery finally gave up in summer 2011, a little over 7 years. Put an off the shelf Advanced Autoparts in. No problems yet. But, considering all the problems being ID'd in the 3-4 year range, thinking of replacing before the snow flies this year.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My truck is an 06. had oem battery all up till yesterday. truck has 140k. Battery was still good but same as clutch i had a terminal that was worn down and prevented a good snug connection.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Luck has a tremendous factor with buying a battery to be honest. I've been selling batteries for over 6 years now. The oldest I've ever seen was 12 years old. Thats like seeing a unicorn..... Advance Auto Parts Titanium (Gold Series now) battery 78 group side post that came out of a Chevy 1500. Factory batteries as well as aftermarkets like everyone says typically last 4-5 years on average. Anything over that is sheer luck. I'd recommend buying a new one before winter when it puts you down. They have a nasty habit of picking the worst times to quit on you
In my '95 Audi A6 the OEM battery lasted until 2007.... Almost 13 years to the month that it rolled off the assembly line.

In my truck ('07, bought in '09) I had to replace the battery in 2010 because of an internal short in which it almost exploded.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Good deal for OP and that's a rare "extensive" battery life. My 06 OEM battery lasted the average 4-yrs and I'm probably on the cusp of another soon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just replaced the original battery in my Dads 2000 Lesabre. 14 years old. I've NEVER had a battery go that far. It is under the back seat so maybe the protection from underhood temps helped it last so long.

I still have the original battery in my 2006 Colorado. I have been carrying jumper cables with me just in case.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
..It is under the back seat so maybe the protection from underhood temps helped it last so long.
Would definitely be a factor.

·
Registered
96 Posts
After owning my 06' for 60 day's now I go out to start it. Lights dim and the click, click, begins. Supposed to be a high of 32 tomorrow. I'll be happy to change today with the sun out at 68*

1 - 20 of 33 Posts