Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Nice! I have a similar build going using a 2010 Canyon with the factory V8, but it will not be as extreme. I also just bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ to build for my wife.....yep, two builds at once, what was I thinking? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
104 Posts
that is gonna be such a dope build. Here's my overland Canyon build. 3.7l and front H3 swap. your SAS and V8 will blow that out of the water! looking forward to following your progress.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
2005 Colorado
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Nice! I have a similar build going using a 2010 Canyon with the factory V8, but it will not be as extreme. I also just bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ to build for my wife.....yep, two builds at once, what was I thinking? :ROFLMAO:
Yeah I kind of got the same thing going… I’m building a 1979 Jeep chief for a customer at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Yeah I kind of got the same thing going… I’m building a 1979 Jeep chief for a customer at the same time.

The Canyon will be our primary overland vehicle, with the Jeep I wanted a 2nd vehicle that could keep up with the Canyon off-road. I am a firm adherent to the "Never wheel alone" philosophy. For the Canyon I have secured a Hummer H3 front axle with the cast iron differential and plan a 4" lift, 33" KM3's and ARB lockers. The Jeep has the 4.7L HO V8 and Quadra-Drive. 4" lift and 33's are also planned for it.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Car

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Automotive parking light

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Nice looking truck… I’m debating on a design for a tent rack.

I picked up a ladder rack off of Craigslist for $80 that had been installed on an F150. I intend to shorten it and modify it to fit the Canyon.

Wood Floor Flooring Beam House

·
Registered
2005 Colorado
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I picked up a ladder rack off of Craigslist for $80 that had been installed on an F150. I intend to shorten it and modify it to fit the Canyon.

View attachment 343804
That’s something to think about… I was kinda thinking a rack that would double a a hybrid cage too. Sonething similar to this but has the length to put a 4 person tent on it.

·
Registered
2005 Colorado
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
More progress today… the frame brackets are all ground off and I was able to make a new front crossmember. Hopefully tomorrow I can work on the frame plating.

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
I may want to pick your brain some on the suspension stuff. I am going to be doing this soon. I have my ideas, but I am not super sure on how to set that front suspension up and how to measure for it. Any information you can share will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2005 Colorado
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I may want to pick your brain some on the suspension stuff. I am going to be doing this soon. I have my ideas, but I am not super sure on how to set that front suspension up and how to measure for it. Any information you can share will be greatly appreciated.
No problem… I’ll be starting to setting up the front end tomorrow. Ask away when you need some advice.

·
Registered
2005 Colorado
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Cut the coil spring mounts off the Jeep JK frame I chopped up, drilled out the superduty wheel bearings to accept 8x6.5 bolt pattern. Also started to set up the steering knuckles so I can weld on the Barnes 4wd high steer kit and welded on the frame stiffeners I made.

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
No problem… I’ll be starting to setting up the front end tomorrow. Ask away when you need some advice.

Thanks. I appreciate all the pictures, and never thought of using jeep mounts. That is ingenious. Cannot wait to see this progress. How wide are your axles going to be wms to wms?

·
Registered
2005 Colorado
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thanks. I appreciate all the pictures, and never thought of using jeep mounts. That is ingenious. Cannot wait to see this progress. How wide are your axles going to be wms to wms?
What ever stock Ford super duty width is.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts