Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm driving my 2.8L 06 canyon and it overheats, AC off message, heater not working lots of dinging. Take it home, drain the brown sludge that had become my antifreeze, flush the radiator, heater core and block until it ran clear. I then changed the thermostat (180 deg, tested in boiling water works well), filled her up and burped the system. Now it's still running hot, top of the gauge, ac off alarms ringing hot. Heater still blowing cold. Wondering if anyone has had similar problems and would like to avoid replacing everything if there's an easy fix that I'm not thinking of. Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Sounds like a flow issue to me, as Cart suggests with the water pump.
Or your fan isn't pulling enough air.

If the heater isn't blowing hot air, then coolant isn't making it through the heater core.

·
Retired and Sleeping Late
337 Posts
Brown sludge?

Where did that come from? Lack of maintenance or mixing Dexcool with standard coolant?

I'm in agreement with the others. Your water pump sounds like it's shot. Remove it and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if your impeller is either completely corroded away or has come off the drive shaft.

After you verify that, run a heavy duty radiator cleaner in your vehicle (Prestone, Gunk, Permatex all make one) and verify that your system is at least working before refilling with coolant.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Unfortunately, if you coolant looked like black sludge, you could have more motor issues than overheating. Have you checked the oil for signs of moisture (i.e. coolant)?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts