Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i've had a random p0017 cel lately. runs ok, but shakes alittle 50 to 55 mph. Say on and off for 2 months. I changed the actuator, camshaft sensor, changed the oil and filter. replaced it with royal purple. i recently clean the throttle body changed the plugs.

So yesterday i get the flashing cel. I had some susipion before that one of the ingition coil pack could be bad. (the reason is i changed the plugs and coil 3 didnt set good) Pulled the code off it and it was a misfire on 3. So i understand i need to change the coil pack on cly number 3.

My question is could the coil pack going bad could have anythinng to do with the p0017.

Im kind of at a lose on the p0017 now. i feel like i've changed most of the stuff that could be tripping it. The only thing i have left really in my mine is the crankshaft sensor.

Also on this crankshaft sensor. its my understanding that it is on the bottom right hand side of the motor. If your standing in front of the truck looking at it, it is behind the front right wheel? If im wrong please correct me.

My Truck is a 2006 2.8 with 175000.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
I don't think there is a relationship between a bad coil and P0017.

Regarding you question of the crankshaft position sensor. I think you are correct, however locations (left/right) on vehicles are always described from sitting in the drivers seat. The battery is located on the left side of the engine compartment, the air cleaner is on the right. So, as you surmised, the sensor is located on the lower aft side of the block on the driver's side. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Did you get the light to go off yet? ive got the same code and replaced the accuator the cam sensor,both o2 sensors and the fuel cap,didnt think the crank sensor being bad would let it start,Still have the light on,when I run a scan it comes up the same code every time,(p0017 camshaft crank sensor corolation bank 1 sensor b)im almost thinking maybe an evap solenoid,just miffed at whats setting it off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same problem with P0017 since October or so. I replaced the actuator, cam sensor, crank sensor. None of those helped. I have zero symptoms of an actual engine problem, everything sounds fine, runs fine at all RPMs. So I find it hard to believe I have an actual problem with my camshaft, crankshaft, or engine timing after running with this error for going on 7 months.

I actually also had the evap solenoid go bad much after the P0017 showed up, it tripped the evap solenoid error. Changed that and it made that code go away, but not P0017.

I also had the throttle sensor go on my throttle body so I have a new throttle body. Needless to say, it didn't make the P0017 go away.

I need to get inspection sticker in May, and I'm out of ideas for changes I can do to solve this, so I'm sending into the mechanic next week to find out what they think it might be. Is there anything I might've forgotten to change? Could O2 sensors cause this? If so, maybe I will try those before I pay $$$$ to have the mechanic do it.

Regarding location of crank sensor: yes it is underneath engine, basically under the gas pedal I think roughly. You will see it when you get under there if you have the replacement part, because it will standout when you know what you are looking for. One bolt and it comes out easy.

Note that you are supposed to do crankshaft relearn after changing the sensor, but if you don't get the error for it, I'm not sure it's totally necessary?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts