Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, thanks for any help you can give and for taking the time to read through this. I've been trying everything I can, and I'm at the point where I'm about ready to just pay to have the dealer look at it, but figured I would see if anyone here had an idea I didn't come across.

My truck is a 2008 Colorado LT, I4 engine, 128K miles.

A couple months ago I got a check engine light. It was code P0017 (Cam/Crank Position). The light will turn off sometimes and then come back on. If I clear the code once the engine is started, it will never come back on while driving. Also, if the truck starts after being turned off without the light on, if the light doesn't come on when it starts, it will never come on while driving. What I am saying is that it only trips the code on engine startup. Also, I note that in my diagnostic tool, the error report always shows the engine RPM at alarm time as being extremely low, like usually under 100RPM. So it is tripping as the engine is starting only.

Since the #1 culprit of a P0017 is the cam actuator, I replaced that first. I used GM part 12615873. No change.

I then replaced both the cam sensor and the crank sensor, both with the AC Delco parts. No change.

At this point, I am at a loss as to what it could be. There is no change in vehicle performance indicating an actual problem with the cam/crank relationship or timing. Engine response is same as ever, gas mileage seems unchanged, etc, etc. Also, since the error only happens at startup, I am guessing it is some sort of sensor/electrical error, but what else could I replace? What diagnostics could I run?

I do not have a Tech2 so I can't run really deep diagnostics.

Thanks for your help!

·
Administrator
8,939 Posts

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
You may need to perform a crank sensor relearn with a Tech-2 under the PCM/VCM special functions feature if the sensor was replaced.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You may need to perform a crank sensor relearn with a Tech-2 under the PCM/VCM special functions feature if the sensor was replaced.
So I was wondering about this. I know you are supposed to, and I also read a lot of people who didn't and didn't have any issues afterwards.

Do you know if failure to perform the relearn would cause it to still trip a P0017 code? I could not find the answer to that. I was thinking that if this was the problem, now I would get a code associated with a misfire, versus the cam/crank relationship. Or at least, get the misfire code in addition to P0017.

As a reply to the other comments, I already replaced the Camshaft Actuator Solenoid, so it was not that. Unless I installed a faulty one, but the likelihood of that seems low. I got the GM part, from GM, and it came in the original packaging and sealed bag and everything looked good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts