Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this code post has been beat pretty hard and Ive read about every post I could find about the p0017 code,and have done and replaced every part called for,But has anyone actually came up with the fix or found the culprit to the p0017 code,i think its driving a lot of us crazy when even the dealer cant give us an answer,sorry to bring this up again,but I just cant believe no fix has ever come about.:ugh::ugh:

·
Legen..wait4it..Dary!
806 Posts
Do you have that code in conjunction with P0008, P0009, P0016, P0018, and P0019?
Is the engine running differently? What parts have already been replaced? Do you hear any rattles that weren't there before? How many miles on the truck?

·
Legen..wait4it..Dary!
806 Posts
You've probably already read this, but just in case.

Symptoms of a P0017 will or may include:
•Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination
•The engine may run but with reduced performance
•The engine may crank but not start
•The engine may exhibit a rattle near the harmonic balancer indicating the tone ring is damaged
•The engine may start and run, but poorly

Causes
Causes may include:
•Timing chain stretched, or timing belt skipped a tooth due to wear
•Misalignment of timing belt/chain
•Tone ring on crankshaft slipped/broken
•Tone ring on camshaft slipped/broken
•Bad crank sensor
•Bad cam sensor
•Damaged wiring to crank/cam sensor
•Timing belt/chain tensioner damaged
•An improperly torqued crankshaft balancer
•A mis-built or mis-timed engine
•A loose or missing crankshaft balancer bolt
•The CMP actuator solenoid stuck open
•The CMP actuator stuck in a position other than 0 degrees

Possible Solutions:
If your vehicle is new enough that is still has powertrain warranty, please let the dealer perform the repairs.

1. First, visually inspect the cam and crank sensors and their harnesses for damage. If you notice broken/frayed wires, repair and recheck.

2. If you have access to a scope, check the cam and crank patterns. If a pattern is missing, suspect a bad sensor or a slipping tone ring. Remove the cam gear and the crankshaft harmonic balancer and inspect the tone rings for proper alignment and make sure they're not loose or damaged or that they haven't sheared the key that aligns them. If they are properly installed, replace the sensor.

3. If the signal appears normal, then check the timing chain/belt for proper alignment. If it's misaligned, check for a damaged tensioner that may have allowed the chain/belt to slip a tooth or several teeth. Also check that the belt/chain isn't stretched. Repair and recheck.

If this DTC shows up on a Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon pickup, and you have a P0014 DTC at the same time, go here for a possible solution: Denlors Auto Blog » Blog Archive » Chevy P0017 CAM/Crankshaft Position Correlation

·
Legen..wait4it..Dary!
806 Posts
The link at the bottom should prove useful if you haven't replaced the camshaft actuator solenoid valve

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey,thanks guys ive replaced the crank sensor,cam sensor, and accuator(twice) oem and aftermarket,and plugs,runs good with no real side effects,only sets the p0017 code,ive even replaced both o2 sensors,erase the code and within a day or earlier its back on,just doesn't make sense,unless its the chains being stretched as ive read,just turned 80,000 miles,which I find fairly low to be having the timing problem,also no rattles or odd noises,checked balancer,just pisses me off.maybe the fix is the piece of black tape over the CEL.:D

·
Legen..wait4it..Dary!
806 Posts
Hey,thanks guys ive replaced the crank sensor,cam sensor, and accuator(twice) oem and aftermarket,and plugs,runs good with no real side effects,only sets the p0017 code,ive even replaced both o2 sensors,erase the code and within a day or earlier its back on,just doesn't make sense,unless its the chains being stretched as ive read,just turned 80,000 miles,which I find fairly low to be having the timing problem,also no rattles or odd noises,checked balancer,just pisses me off.maybe the fix is the piece of black tape over the CEL.:D
LOL, yeah it seems you've been pretty thorough. Check the timing belt and see if it has jumped a tooth. may not be warn but it is always possible something could have caused it to jump a smidge. That's the only area left to check it seems.. The stealership couldn't figure it out? I'd be pretty pissed if I was under warranty and they send me home with a CEL..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did all the sensors I listed above,checked crank end play,(didn't check timing chain yet)and also did a crank relearn,that only lasted 1/2 a day,i think im giving up and just driving it and not going to pay any attention to the CEL,it runs no differerant than when I bought it four years ago.

·
Legen..wait4it..Dary!
806 Posts
I understand your pain man, that light has been known to drive people mad.. Have you gotten a tune from SuperMod? its like gettina a whole new truck, and he might be able to get that light off. Don't quote me on that though. could always call and talk to him, hes very knowledgeable.

·
Legen..wait4it..Dary!
806 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Changed my oil just before it first came on,and once since less than 500 miles,ive tried to think of anything also,but I guess I better follow what the link says(thanks BTW) and put a new mill in it(not really) I got that bulliten from the guy who did my relearn,i cant believe that's there solution.Oh well ill keep trying,ill watch for any updates,thanks guys.

·
Legen..wait4it..Dary!
806 Posts
Best of luck man. And of course. If you figure it out, Update us and Post that crap in bold lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Legen..wait4it..Dary!
806 Posts
this will eventually happen to you too!

balance shaft chain jumped off the crank.. broke some teeth and destroyed the guide tensioner..
@yonkrz looks like it's all leading to the timing. If I remember correctly, it's the only place you haven't checked, and then @07ColoradoBLK was nice enough to see this and post this information.

Let us know if you check the timing and it ends up being the cause. It will help confirm the issue a little more.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
don't mind my quick hi-jack

i am currently battling timing issues with my truck and the guy that is working on it is telling me he needs to remove the head in order to work on the timing. is this true?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the pics,I see how that can happen,What a dumbass design,when I was younger and wrechin on my chevelles the timing chain at least went 3/4 of the way around the gear not a 1/3.im just going to drive it.Thanks again for the pics.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
thats just the back chain guys not the front chain yall know these dumbass motors have two chains... lol #2chains the pics ive shown are the balance shaft chain on the backside (transmission) side of the engine. and @amoore117 yes and no... the timing chain on the front of the engine can be changed without removing the head but its just a bitch.. either way.. u can change teh cam actuator sprocket without taking the head off you dont need those stupid special tools that they call for . you can use hangers. i bought one of the tensioner holding tools not really worth 26$ a hanger works much better .. take the valve cover off the intake manifold can either come off completely or loosen enough to wiggle the valve cover out.. its easier if its completely off tho.

the alternator has to be removed to get to intake bolts, the waterpump fan clutch ... and timing cover all have to be removed.

changing the chain calls for something like 23 hours in the book.. 13.6 hours to remove/replace engine so do it yourself if you can . labor aint cheap

·
Internet Troll
1,232 Posts
My P0017 code pops up about every 3-4 weeks and stays on until it has been restarted about 5-6 times, (with at least 1/2 hour between shutdown and startup). I too have replaced the obvious part (OEM and Aftermarket) and it seems to have calmed down some. I've noticed it is more like to happen on cooler damp days that hot sunny ones and usually in the morning. Since it usually goes back off, I have been ignoring it as well. The truck seems to run fine when it is on. No apparent loss of power or mileage.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thats just the back chain guys not the front chain yall know these dumbass motors have two chains... lol #2chains the pics ive shown are the balance shaft chain on the backside (transmission) side of the engine. and @amoore117 yes and no... the timing chain on the front of the engine can be changed without removing the head but its just a bitch.. either way.. u can change teh cam actuator sprocket without taking the head off you dont need those stupid special tools that they call for . you can use hangers. i bought one of the tensioner holding tools not really worth 26$ a hanger works much better .. take the valve cover off the intake manifold can either come off completely or loosen enough to wiggle the valve cover out.. its easier if its completely off tho.

the alternator has to be removed to get to intake bolts, the waterpump fan clutch ... and timing cover all have to be removed.

changing the chain calls for something like 23 hours in the book.. 13.6 hours to remove/replace engine so do it yourself if you can . labor aint cheap
Thanks for the update/Info

1 - 20 of 117 Posts