Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,
My 2005 Colorado with a 4 Cylinder and about 135k on the motor, the engine light came on and I read the code as P0171. I changed the MAF Sensor and Fuel filter as those were the common problems. When I did this, the light went out for a few weeks. It came on the other day, so I drove it home. When I went out to start it the next day, no light. I am a bit confused, did the problem fix itself? I am going to take it to the mechanic anyway, but looking for input from you guys.

Thanks in advance.

Dino

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would drive it until the light came on again and then take it to the mechanic. It might not come back.
I had a P0420 code, changed both O2 sensors, code came back at least every other drive. Put non-foulers on the lower O2 sensor, reset the code and all was good again. Several days later I looked down as I pulled into the garage and the light was back. Didn’t reset the code then and when I drove the next day it was gone and hasn’t come back. So, I suppose the code cleared itself.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I am going to drive it a bit and see. I think I am going to take it in anyway, it is in need of some service. Thanks again. RR

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update on the truck. I drove it around and the code came back. I took it to my mechanic and he said to try the O2 sensor, so I did. Did not clear the code, and I am getting close to smog time, so I just took it to him and had him look at it. According to him, and I trust him, the truck is running lean at idle and is having to increase the fuel by about 20 percent to get into spec. He drove it around with some meter hooked to it and said normal driving is fine. After checking for any vacuum leaks, he found the seam on the resonator is cracked and allowing air in. So, a new resonator is on order and I am hoping that will fix the issue. According to him, the crack was pretty significant and right where the two pieces meet up. I could not just seal the seam as that would cause me to fail the smog visual, so a new part was needed. Thanks to all for looking

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Car passed smog no issues. I feel pretty good that my mechanic took care of the issue. Now on to more pressing matters. I need beer. LOL.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts