Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Correct cart7881. To take it a step farther, if the gauge on the truck is reading a different temperature than the scan tool, then the temperature sensor is working and the gauge on the cluster needs replaced. This is starting to become a somewhat common problem on the '04-'08 trucks as they get older. My gauge never gets above 1/4, but my scangauge II reads correct temperature. There are several posts here where folks had to replace the cluster or have the gauge (motor) replaced. It has to be soldered in and the folks that have had that and gas gauge replaced have paid between $100 and $200 to have this done.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Pretty sure the 2008 came with a fan clutch, so no electric fans, unless the owner has upgraded. I'd replace the thermostat. I'd also look at the ground packs again. Not just making sure they were grounded to the truck well, but also opening them up and checking the connections inside. I've sort of given up on the ground packs and cut them off and if I continue to have problems like this, I simply figure out which wire should be a ground wire and attach a separate ground wire to that item if it's a constant ground.
Let us know what you figure out.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I'd suggest putting the thermostat in a pot of water with a thermometer. Turn the stove on and note the temperature when the thermostat opens up. Turn the stove off and as the water cools, make sure the thermostat closes smoothly. Basic test, but it will let you know if your thermostat is working.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts