Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Had the same code, gas spewed when filling up, slow to start after fill-up. Changed purge valve, no more problems.

·
Registered
2006 GMC Canyon
43 Posts
I’m assuming that is the one under the bed correct? Cause I’ve had that code for about 2 years now and I’ve replaced the valve on the block and code is still present.....

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've replaced all of those components on mine. Even made YouTube videos of most of the repairs. Still get the evap "small leak" error code. Issue is the ring seal at the top of the gas tank where the fuel pump goes in. PITA to replace. Either drop the tank or raise the bed. I'll get around to it one of these days, or I'll pay someone to do it. Getting too old for this, LOL. 🤣

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wanted to chime in on this discussion as there is some really wrong advice posted above.
The person erroneously said “Purge” when I believe he meant “Vent” solenoid, as a very common replacement & repair and fix for P0446 code.
The last place you want to look to repair a P0446 code is the purge solenoid, the first place you want to look to repair a P0446 code is the evap vent solenoid.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Purge solenoid is not at all known as the Vent valve solenoid... they are two completely different parts of the Evap system.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Not sure which person you’re referring to Bray, so let me explain what worked for me. Shortly after buying my ‘07 Canyon I was filling the tank and gas spewed out of the fill tube when the nozzle kicked off. When I tried to start the truck it spun over but didn’t fire up. Sat there a while and made several start attempts and it finally started.
I checked the forum for this problem and the post I read said this condition would generate a P0446 code and the solution was a new purge valve (the valve mounted on the driver’s side of the block near the thermostat).
I changed that valve and have not had a recurrence of gas spewing and hard starting. To be accurate, I don’t know if I actually had a P0446 code as I didn’t have a scanner at the time.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The purge valve controls the flow of evaporated fumes from the charcoal canister, into the engine - it is normally closed and throttled/modulated during engine operation. The vent valve vents the charcoal canister to atmosphere, and allows the gas tank to fill by allowing air to flow through it during filling - it is normally open, and only closes during the EVAP system test.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Along with the above discussed components failing/leaking, any hole developed in the gas tank, filler neck, fuel pump cover/seal, and evap system lines will give you evap system leak codes.

·
Registered
122 Posts
posted in error

·
Registered
122 Posts
The purge valve is on the left side of the engine block, the purge solenoid (also known as the vent valve I believe) is connected to the canister under the bed. You may need to replace that if you still have the code. Another possibility I've come across in my research is the tank pressure sensor.

As for mine, the ECU is still showing "not ready" for the evap system so the drive cycle isn't completed yet. Apparently it takes a while for that one specifically. However, I dont have any pending codes so it looks like the purge valve was the fix in my case. Also, I put some gas in and didnt have any issues with slow fueling or gas spilling out all over the place so that's another indicator that it worked.
Did the purge valve replacement fix your problem?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not sure which person you’re referring to Bray, so let me explain what worked for me. Shortly after buying my ‘07 Canyon I was filling the tank and gas spewed out of the fill tube when the nozzle kicked off. When I tried to start the truck it spun over but didn’t fire up. Sat there a while and made several start attempts and it finally started.
I checked the forum for this problem and the post I read said this condition would generate a P0446 code and the solution was a new purge valve (the valve mounted on the driver’s side of the block near the thermostat).
I changed that valve and have not had a recurrence of gas spewing and hard starting. To be accurate, I don’t know if I actually had a P0446 code as I didn’t have a scanner at the time.
A broken or faulty purge valve does not cause problems with refilling the gas tank!
However, a faulty vent valve does cause problems with refilling the gas tank.
A faulty vent valve does not cause slow starting of the engine.

·
Registered
122 Posts
A broken or faulty purge valve does not cause problems with refilling the gas tank!
However, a faulty vent valve does cause problems with refilling the gas tank.
A faulty vent valve does not cause slow starting of the engine.
Well, Bjay, all I can tell you is what happened with my truck. Not long after I bought my ‘07 Canyon I was filling the gas tank (may have been the first time I filled the truck). When the tank filled and the nozzle cut off, gas spewed out of the filler neck. Then, when I tried to start the truck it spun over without firing. After a number of tries over several minutes, the truck started.
I read a post on the forum that mentioned the purge valve, mounted on the side of the engine block near the thermostat, as the cause or one of the causes. I ordered a purge valve from Rock Auto, installed it on the truck and have not had a repeat of the gas spewing and delayed start issue.
So, based on my personal experience, I would say that the faulty purge valve did cause a problem with filling the tank and slow/delayed starting. I have since seen posts that says a faulty vent valve causes these issues and that may well be true. However, on my truck the outcome indicates the purge valve caused the problem as changing it resolved the problem.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Odd view of the above problem is that frequently when having the fuel pump replaced, the evap line and the return line get swapped and hooked into the wrong fuel pump connections, and these symptoms occur.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts