Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
P0449 fault code.
All I need to know is what resistance the vent valve should have. I have hooked up a multi meter to the harness and I am getting the battery voltage. Now I have been trying to find something about what resistance the valve should have.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
It should have around 15-ohms but the important thing is does it open and close with power.

Also don't overfill your fuel tank or you'll be replacing more of these vent valves.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will have to check the if it opens and closes in the morning. But it is reading ol so i believe it is failed

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just replaced this part this past weekend. My new solenoid was giving about 25-ohm. The bad one was giving open circuit, so if you are getting OL that is a pretty sure sign it is bad.

There is a good tutorial on replacing this, and you only need to get the solenoid itself, not the whole unit. I bought the solenoid and pigtail on Amazon for about $35 total.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Was just curious about that resistance. I already had it off last night when I posted this. And I have a buddy that wrecked his truck so I bought his valve off of him. Just want to make sure that it was good. Also as a note...... I read on one of these forums that you can replace this without removing the spare tire. I want to meet the guy that can do that. Lol I would have had to break my arm and laid it up there to get that thing off.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
I took mine off and reinstalled it without dropping the spare, and I have a full size spare. It was not easy, though.

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Last time I looked at the part# on the box it was 214-2147 and it worked for my 2008 canyon. Part is actually for a Monte Carlo.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
I clicked the link for 214-2149 says it does not fit a 2007 canyon , Will this fit ? I need to change mine .Thanks for any help I can get , Rob
It will fit. An excessively detailed explanation follows: :hs:

Amazon, or any other retailer, is only going to tell you what GM says is the correct part number for your truck. The GM recommended "correct" part for your truck includes the valve and the tube that attaches to the canister. That part is significantly higher priced than just a similar valve without the tube. That is what started someone's search for a lower price option and led to all of these Threads. To complicate matters, GM changed the shape of the connector receptacle, on newer models from oval to square, then stopped production of the oval shaped ones. If you order an OEM valve (with tube) you will also get a charge for a jumper harness to connect it. The original substitute valve, part number 214-2147, now has a square receptacle and will require a jumper harness. Part number 214-2149 has an oval receptacle and will fit your truck without an additional harness.

·
Registered
994 Posts
FYI: The proper part (oval connector) is $12.80 @ Amazon right now
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KSCSQU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

This is the third one I've replaced on this truck since I bought it new in 2008 @163k miles now. Actually, I bought two, just because ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
In case others stumble into here, I wanted to add what I believe to be correct.

On the Colorado, the connection end went from oval to square with the 2008 model.
(EDIT: 2008 is incorrect, not sure on the year)

214-2147 AND 214-2149 have oval connection ports. I've seen people say both will work for 2004-2007 models (no adapter cable needed) The end that connects to the hose/tube is a little different:

214-2147

214-2149

***214-2324 has the SQUARE connector***

If you have a 2008 or newer, 214-2324 should work without an adapter cable.
EDIT: cart7881 below says 2008-2009 still has oval connectors

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
Are you sure about the model years? If that information is correct, the GM Service Manuals are in error. The Manuals for 2008 and 2009 indicate oval shaped connectors for the EVAP Vent Solenoid. I don't have the 2010 Service Manual. The 2011 Service Manual shows the square connector.

Note: see Post #12 above.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are you sure about the model years? If that information is correct, the GM Service Manuals are in error. The Manuals for 2008 and 2009 indicate oval shaped connectors for the EVAP Vent Solenoid. I don't have the 2010 Service Manual. The 2011 Service Manual shows the square connector.

Note: see Post #12 above.

My mistake. It looks like GM discontinued 214-2147 and 214-2149 and the updated solenoid was 214-2324 (square connector.)

I'm not sure what year Colorado first came with the square connector wire plug.

While you still may be able to find the 2147 or 2149, it might be better to use the 2324 with adapter cable. Maybe they improved the solenoid design.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
Several years ago there was a How-To written regarding replacing the OEM Vent Solenoid with a different one, saving some money in the process. http://www.355nation.net/forum/how-...e-your-evap-canister-solenoid-p0455-code.html

The suggested replacement Vent Solenoid Valve was ACDelco part number 214-2147. That valve worked as advertised. Along about the end of 2014, or the beginning of 2015, GM discontinued the Valve part number 214-2147 and replaced it with 214-2324. Orders for the 214-2147 are now filled with part number 214-2324. ACDelco 214-2149 hasn't been discontinued yet, and is readily available from Amazon for about $20. The Valve with the square connector, 214-2323, is a viable option if one doesn't mind the added expense of the jumper cable and an additional connector to worry about.

I don't know when GM moved to the square type connection either. I don't have access to the 2010 Service Manual. My 2011 Colorado has the square connector.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts