Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my 2009 Canyon for about 2 months now and today I went to start it and it was rough. Sputtered to start, "Reduced Power", "Traction Control", and CEL came on. Shut it off, popped the hood and checked for blown fuses but didn't find anything. Went back and tried to start again and it started fine, still had the CEL but no sign of "Reduced Power".

Now I feel like the engine is missing slightly when running. If I really get on it, there just seems to be a different sound to the engine like it's not firing properly. (Kind of like having bad gas in the tank)

I did a quick search of the code and came up with "P0651 - PCM voltage out of tolerance condition on the 5-volt reference circuit" I couldn't find a way to troubleshoot this or how this would cause what I'm seeing.

Anyone have an idea?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Any idea the condition of your battery? That's just a random thought.
Put it on a charger and get it charged up perhaps.

There are two ground blocks on the fenders. Maybe they need cleaned. You can search and find info on the ground locations (and a few pictures). It's discussed quite often since the dirty grounds cause a lot of problems.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let me just ask a stupid question before I get too far. I installed pocket fender flares this last weekend. I used 1 inch self tappers to get them on. There's no wires inside any of the fenders I could have nicked, right? The one inch tappers only went about a quarter inch into the fender. Any wires inside those fenders at all?

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
You might have hit one of the ground packs. That would certainly mess up the circuit. There are some in that area on the driverside I do believe as well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did some research and it seems that all of the ground packs are mounted on the fender on the inside of the engine bay. If that is the case then I drilled through the outside metal of the fender but it looks like they are mounted on the inside metal of the fender. (if that makes sense)

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
You never know though a loop of a pigtail could have been sticking up that you just barely knicked. The factory grounds suck anyways and have been known to cause electrical gremlins, so I would locate the grounds related to that circuit and pull them off sand the surface below re-install then paint over them.

Also check the battery and alternator to make sure you don't have low voltage into the system, or a bad ground related to them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I hate when people don't follow up on their threads and I know it's been forever but I thought I'd give the solution.

I bought this truck in early spring (temperatures are still cold here) and it had a K&N setup on it. Well it seems that as it got warmer the K&N set up started to freak out. After changing the crankshaft position sensor, MAF sensor, ground blocks and buying a new battery, I still couldn't figure it out. I had always had a P0171 code that randomly popped up and so I thought, lets go back to stock air intake. Well I did that in Mid-July and here it is two months later and I haven't had a problem since. I've done more research on my K&N and it looks like the guy before me modified the 3.5L engine's K&N set up and put it in the 3.7L. I guess they aren't compatible...

Problem solved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts