Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my truck, it came with painted door and tailgate handles....I went outside today and noticed that the paint is peeling right off of them....and theyre all 3 going to need repainted. Any suggestions on what I can do repainting them to make the paint last longer? It looks terrible :(

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
did you buy the truck new? if not someone painted that and I doubt it is covered. Whoever did it didnt prep it well.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just ran out and looked to see if i could pull them off...it looks like whoever did it, painted them on the truck, and its a pretty thick layer that will just peel off with your fingernail..its right between the handle and the door so it looks really tacky...my warranties up, so im going to either have a body shop do something or try and do it myself.

it also looks like underneath it wasnt sanded down, it looks like the stock handle was just slapped with a coat of paint! whoever did it, if not the factory did a crummy job!

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
^^ the guy that wrote those instructions smokes alot of weed......

It is easy to do it yourself however if you want a top notch job take it to a shop. Might as well get some other stuff done while your at it. Won't cost much more to get some interior stuff sprayed and so on.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow that is a good write up....step by step! i really want to try to do them myself, and i think i can! thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
with anything yellow you need todo them white first. Yellow will not cover unless its on top of white!!Trust me on this. I paint yellow cars all the time.

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
with anything yellow you need todo them white first. Yellow will not cover unless its on top of white!!Trust me on this. I paint yellow cars all the time.
Yeah take his advice. It will eventually cover but after many wasteful coats, without the white it wont be as bright.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I had mine done while it was in the bodyshop, well worth it. That way you'll know it will last....but if you really want to prep them well, and spray them and then heat them after I'm sure that would be just as good. ;)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i thought about it, and i really wanted to try myself....but i think im going to get a quote from the body shop/mechanic that works on our cars....depending on the cost i might try it....doesnt look too hard

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
heres something ,go to a junkyard get a spare set and take them to a bodyshop and have them do them at there leasure they shouldnt charge to much as long as your not in a hurry then jus swapem out "I know these things Im a painter at a bodyshop"

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Me, you and Doug can have a pow-wow on this if we're all at the meet on sunday! Cause from the sounds of it, you may be needing additional paint work.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i know...im really scared to do it myself...it just sucks walking outside and one day its fine, barely noticable, to opening the door and a huge flake coming off....grrrr, not a good day! i always have weird things like that happen to me!

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
Well John might be needing my handles....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts