Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive seen some pics of you guys with painted headlights. How did you guys do it? Im guessing you guys took off the clear glass and went to town with spray paint but I would like some more info thanks

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
yah you bake the headlamps in the oven real quick and that heats up the adhesive so you can pull em apart. then just go to town man!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I bought a set of stock zq8 black headlights from a member on the forums.. I can't remember who it was though. It was a while ago. I baked them a LONG time ago, then they have just been sitting around. I finally got to painting them. I also got some HID's for the low beams and the fog lights, but the F-in H-11's didnt come with a harness they needed, so I'm still waiting on that. But the rest is history. Total time in headlights.... approx. 8 hrs. BTW, i like the look of the stock amber reflectors, so I put them back in! Also soon to come, is fully customized Tail lights....

I clamped my DRL's and headlights together before I baked them back together, so I didn't have to hold them together, or sit on them...

The difference between stock, and the new and improved:

\

Here is the difference between stock color (fogs) and the HID 8k's

Here she is, after a long day of work, ready for bed.

-------

all off:

here is the best pic i could get.. my cam didnt do very well. I took about 15, and this was the best one.

here is the paint i used if anyone out there wants to do theirs in white. I baked them back together at 185 degrees, and no problem with the paint bubbling or anything.

[/

----

thats just from cfans. i should have some more info (i painted mine) saved, ill look for it when i get home.

hope this helps so far.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
The H11's never come with the harness from the people u bought them from... you just take the metal "prongs" and put the inside the stock plug and tape that shit up... no plug needed.

Thats what I had to do.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
I just got my lights with the clear corners today. Gunna take the top ones apart and paint he black part chrome to match the bottom.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I just got my lights with the clear corners today. Gunna take the top ones apart and paint he black part chrome to match the bottom.
I've always wanted to do this with mine....let me know how it turns out...I was just going to use a wicke silver though..not chrome..But thinking I might leave em black seeing as how I got the black/red thing going on. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
I've always wanted to do this with mine....let me know how it turns out...I was just going to use a wicke silver though..not chrome..But thinking I might leave em black seeing as how I got the black/red thing going on. :shrug:
HAHA I would let you know how they turn out but they were fucked up again :( the company keeps sending me damaged lights :mav2: Guess ill have to wait another 2 weeks for new ones.

·
Registered
321 Posts
that looks amazing snowman!
thanks alot! although i have to admite that thats not my truck, its the guys who did the write up, i just have (had) a single cab Z85. but just so everyone knows, GM used a harder type of silicone for the drl housings so you should heat them up longer and probly add a little extra addhesive then clamp them together.

and some people just head it up and scrape all the stock silicone out and use fresh silicone (make sure its black) to seal them back up.

hope that helps, if you ave any more ?'s feel free to ask.

·
Registered
455 Posts
can I use that same spray can on the chevy logo on my stock Z85 wheels? but I would be doing them in black let me know guys thanks.

·
Registered
321 Posts
it should work, i was planing on doing the same thing soon, but my truck got crashed. just make sure to spray a few (2-3) layers of clear coat over it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts