Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Batman
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I painted my handles this weekend, and now my stock mirrors look out of place. So I was thinking I could just paint those the same way. But the way they stick out are they liable to get chipped up by flying rocks and such, like my bowtie has? If so I might not even bother. I have had to touch that thing up so many times.
Help me out, if you've done it yourself ( spray can method) how does it hold up?

·
Registered
471 Posts
I painted the elephant ears about a year ago. There are a few chips, but nothing major. Just do a few coats of clear, I only had time for one when I did mine. It's wells worth it, made a big difference in appearance.

·
Batman
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so just hit it up with a bunch of light coats of clear and I should be ok? is it going to be a problem touching them up with that much clear on them?

·
0 Posts
i have had mine for about a week drove over 1500 miles and no chips i hit my with a clear laquer so its a lil more durable

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
Honestly my opinion is when you paint them, they actually dont blend in and look bigger. :shrug:

·
Registered
471 Posts
I don't think they can get ANY bigger! Mine don't seem any bigger, but they do blend in more with the truck.

Yeah, just do a few coats of clear and you should be good. Just remember to do good prep work!

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
thats why I said IT WAS MY HONEST OPINION.

·
Premium Member
21,130 Posts
honestly rock chips happen flex additive in the paint may help to soften it some but really rock chips are a fact of life you should see my hood :cry:

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
flex agent only allows the paint to be flexible for a certain amount of time. It will eventually fade and the paint will be just as brittle as it would before without flex agent.

·
Registered
471 Posts
My hood has them EVERYWHERE! I bought a paint pen, it looks like my truck has zit cream all over the front.

·
Batman
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know paint chips are going to happen, just wondering if anyone had a REAL bad experience with it, but sounds it sounds like the project for this weekend.

·
CALI BOSS
6,308 Posts
I painted my SS mirrors last year. Now they look like they have salt sprinkled all over them. I drive about 30k mile per year though. I was too lazy to get them clear bra'd like my front end, which still looks new. I'll be repainting my mirrors soon and then getting them protected after the pain cures.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts