Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need opinions on whether to have white flares or gray grained ones. They will go on in the spring, once it warms up, so the tape will adhere well. I'm leaning toward white, but wanted to get other opinions. They will be Z71, the large flares.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
painted FTW!

Itll look sooooo good!

I know its a different color, but for a good example look at blurred's truck...it looks SEX with painted flairs!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
painted FTW!

Itll look sooooo good!

I know its a different color, but for a good example look at blurred's truck...it looks SEX with painted flairs!

Funny you should mention that truck. It's the TOTM, looks great, and according to the calendar, it's my truck! I need a ride to go pick it up.

But it looks like white flares will go on. I have a set of gray grained, all I need to do is figure how to get the paint to stick to them.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I havent seen hannibal around here lately...maybe its due to my absence but...anyways I would really talk to him!! (as flatman suggested) They look absolutely flawless...I also believe RRCN sanded his down as well....not to sure on that one though.....your truck will look damn good with them smoothed and painted!

·
Registered
587 Posts
i will help you with that barry, when it warms up.
i have to do some painting on my new truck anyway and it is the same color.
i think i even have some white paint left over from the tailgate

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Funny you should mention that truck. It's the TOTM, looks great, and according to the calendar, it's my truck! I need a ride to go pick it up.

But it looks like white flares will go on. I have a set of gray grained, all I need to do is figure how to get the paint to stick to them.
Your better off finding an already painted set and sanding those down and painting them rather than dealing with prepping the raw plastic.

I havent seen hannibal around here lately...maybe its due to my absence but...anyways I would really talk to him!! (as flatman suggested) They look absolutely flawless...I also believe RRCN sanded his down as well....not to sure on that one though.....your truck will look damn good with them smoothed and painted!
Hannibal did his and it was a bitch...until he bought an air sander. lol. His painter suggested it would have been better to just buy any colored ones because prep work is much easier. It's more difficult/time consuming to try and get paint to adhere to raw plastic. There's more work or something to get it properly done.

Me? I bought mine white from the dealer. :high5:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just buy the prepainted white flares. much easier

Fixitman and I were going to trade his painted red flares for my gray ones, but that truck is gone. I'm weighing the cost of new painted, $240 I think, against
taking the old tape off and putting on new, and a set of pushpins, along with the sanding and painting. Maybe a new set will be better.

If it weren't for the cost of shipping being so high, I could offset that by selling my gray flares for $50. New gray flares ready to go are $113 from the dealer parts dept.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Your better off finding an already painted set and sanding those down and painting them rather than dealing with prepping the raw plastic.
They make a compound for hard to sand areas. Lot of body shops use it on bumpers or just to rough the clear coat up. Once you do that just use some adheasion promoter and your set.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I painted the plastic parts of the bumpers, and they are holding up.

I'll see how they look after winter and paint the flares the same way. I think they are the same plastic.

S

·
0 Posts
Yeah Pre Painted for sure, I bought mine from the dealer with free shipping. I wasn't even going to attempt to paint the gray ones...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts