Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about painting my rear differential cover.
Back in the day when I didn’t have any responsibilities, some of the guys that I used to hang around with, well, we would paint the differential covers. Made it look cool. Not sure how I’m going to clean it. I know I’ll have to wait till it’s a little warmer out. 173K miles of road grime and surface rust need to be cleaned off. I suspect I’ll use that ‘purple’ degreaser stuff on it, then a wire brush and some mineral spirits to get it ready for paint.

You guys have any other ideas on ‘degreasing’ it? Primer and paint combo?
Fire engine red? Neon Yellow?

·
Registered
664 Posts
I painted mine gold hahaha. Just did a basic clean with a wirebrush/ scotchbrite/ sandpaper and then used some wheel paint I think. Held up decent. Ive only resprayed it once maybe I think

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't used a needle gun since I was in the Navy oh so long ago. Forgot all about them. I do have some decent ear protection. Might just have to give some thought to it. Do have a compressor and can never have enough tools.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I painted mine gold hahaha. Just did a basic clean with a wirebrush/ scotchbrite/ sandpaper and then used some wheel paint I think. Held up decent. Ive only resprayed it once maybe I think

Did you have to use any type of cleanser?

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wait until you do a rear diff service and just replace it.

It's $30 for the gasket, cover w/magnet, and new fill plug. Comes raw galvanized steel, then you can finish it as you wish and install it during your diff service.
That's surely another option. I'm due to crawl under there in 5 or 6 weeks anyways.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts

It's $30 for the gasket, cover w/magnet, and new fill plug. Comes raw galvanized steel, then you can finish it as you wish and install it during your diff service.
No kiddin'?

I paid over $20 at NAPA last week for a Fel-Pro gasket alone.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Did you have to use any type of cleanser?
Nope. My truck has been a california truck its whole life though so not much crap to work around.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Where did you get the gasket/cover, at a local dealer? GMPartsDirect? etc?

·
Registered
231 Posts
All painted with drain bung welded in...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
20150915_181203.jpg

20150721_181822.jpg

I painted my rear diff. And got shock covers. I cleaned degreesed it then used engine block primer and paint from pepboys. " chevy red orange". It's cool. People do comment on it. Good luck with it. I love mine...

:355group:

·
Registered
231 Posts
When I bought my trailblazer SS axle, I went ahead and bought a new cover for it and my wife painted it with mr horsepower for me. She used 1shot pinstripe paint, it's still going strong after 3 years.
Awesome!

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
When I swapped rear end I stripped everything, cleaned and painted.

There was some minor rust on the inside of the cover from sitting...... I bought a new diff cover kit from GM (included a new cover, gasket and hardware for $22 on ebay)

I cleaned everything, primed and painted with my choice color........ the cover and center section was taped off and painted together in a gunmetal metallic

1 - 20 of 29 Posts