Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are you guys that have painted your wheels taking the tires off of them first or just taping the tires off? i'm interested because i'm thinking about painting my stockers graphite until i can afford 18s

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
I did my without the tires on. But thats when I had a spare set of wheels and tires. You could do them with the tires on just make sure to tape off the tires really good. Go buy blue or green painters tape it works the best.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's what i thought, thanx brewer, you're always a help

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dpends on brand i think most people are using good old duplicolor wheel paint that can be picked up at your local auto parts store or wally world. runs from 3-7 bux a can depending on where you get it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm not sure i guess it would't hurt anything to have the added protection.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
i think the thing is if you clear it you cant make repairs on it or something? i could be wrong...i would probably clear it especially since i take mine off road quite a bit

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanx, searching > me on this one

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
I have an extra set of rims too, so I painted mine with the tires off. I used regular automotive paint on mine though, only because I work at a body shop so it was free!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
ill probably try to aquire another set of rims...probably way easier to deal with

·
Registered
971 Posts
I painted mine with the tires on. In retrospect I would have taken the tires off so I could have done a better job. The only tape I could find that would stick to the tires was duct tape. The painters tape I tried was not tacky enough and would not stick. Even with the duct tape it lifted some so there are some spots on the very outer lip that was hard for me to get paint to.
You don't to use the clear but it will add more shine to it as well as more protection. However, like other have stated, it will not allow you to touch the wheels up as easily.

·
0 Posts
i have a set of zq8 wheels that are just sittin in a ware house might paint them the graphite color and then throw thos bitches on ebay!

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
truth be told, from experience, when I painted my Xtreme's, I initially went with the painters masking tape. But it sucked balls.

I found the best way was to Duct tape the rubber. Do the whole side wall, that way you don't need pieces of paper, etc.

Sticks 100 times better. And doesn't come off if you accidentally hit it.

Duct tape > painters tape for rubber

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
If you were to break the bead on the tire it'd be a whole lot easier to mask the tires off. Sometimes it's a PITA to do yourself though. :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts