Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what would be the best paint to use to paint the chrome trim and mesh on an Xtreme grille black? Just scored a brand new color matched grille for 65 bucks but it has the chrome mesh and I want to paint it black. Thanks in advance

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Scuff it up with fine grit sandpaper... Then use adhesion promoter and then Dupli Color and clear coat ... IMO Good luck with your project!!!

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
Here's a few options that will remove the plastic chrome safely without damaging the plastic.

Household oven cleaner (caustic soda). Spray it on and let it dry for 10 minutes. Then wipe the chrome away.
Soak the item overnight in a container filled with cola. The cola will remove the chrome thoroughly and ready it to be wiped off.
Soak the chromed items in household bleach. Of these household items, only bleach will leave the primer in place.

I've used the bleach method and it worked well.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Two words, PLASTI DIP. I tried painting mine and no matter what I did, it chipped way to easy. Plasti dip will give you the stock black plastic look and is far more durable than any paint you will put on it, mine lasted over 2 years before I touched it up again and it really wasn't that bad when I touched it up.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Two words, PLASTI DIP. I tried painting mine and no matter what I did, it chipped way to easy. Plasti dip will give you the stock black plastic look and is far more durable than any paint you will put on it, mine lasted over 2 years before I touched it up again and it really wasn't that bad when I touched it up.
But can you make it glossy? My rattle-canned grille is chipping, and I hate masking and respraying.

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Wish I had known about the "bleach method" 2 years ago !!!! Nice post !! :salute:

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
But can you make it glossy? My rattle-canned grille is chipping, and I hate masking and respraying.
You'll never get plasti dip glossy enough to look like paint,but to paint the grill mesh like the OP is asking about it works perfect.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wondering what would be the best paint to use to paint the chrome trim and mesh on an Xtreme grille black? Just scored a brand new color matched grille for 65 bucks but it has the chrome mesh and I want to paint it black. Thanks in advance

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
use adhesive promoter... they sell it at auto stores.. helps paint stick to almost anything

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
My grille is the same way on my truck and it's chipping bad. It was the chrome one that was painted over by a shop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts