Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

What Color??

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I scored Zacks ZQ8 rims to paint them at my leisure, then swap them out with mine. Just trying to get some opinions on what color to go with. I love brewer's color, but I might want to go with something else just to have some variety around! I think black and cleared would look awesome, but like he said, it'd be a bitch to have to touch up a spot for whatever reason, then re-clear. The more clear you put on, the easier it chips. Tough Choice!!

Here's my truck for reference....

And Doug- I liked the photoshop you did where you left the lip silver but the spokes were black. When you see this can you post that pic here?

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I wouldn't clear wheels. Makes it that much harder to touch up. I would look into getting them powdercoated though. You could have it done pretty cheap and even though Brewer's has held up really well, I'm sure the powdercoated wheels will hold up much better in the long run than the wheel paint.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't clear wheels. Makes it that much harder to touch up. I would look into getting them powdercoated though. You could have it done pretty cheap and even though Brewer's has held up really well, I'm sure the powdercoated wheels will hold up much better in the long run than the wheel paint.
I thought about that too, but I didn't know how much more that'd be. 4 rattle cans are pretty cheap! lol I wouldn't even know where to take them. How about the center caps? Can they PC those? if not, what else would you use to match the finish of PC? Cause doesn't PC dry glossy? or can you get it to dry semi or flat?

P

·
0 Posts
Looks pretty good. I'll deff throw that in the running. Maybe ask someone to PS it for me.
oh and if youre gonna do it, dont go the cheap way, even if it takes longer fo ryou to get the money together, go with powdercoating. It'll outlast you. I had it on some wheels i previously owned. My friend has em now, still brand new on a daily driver, only costed me $250 to get em done w/ warranty.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
EFF! See that's a bit more than I was looking to invest. Brew said his rims are holdin up good. If I can find someone to quote me a decent price on PC, then maybe. But like I said, I don't even know where to go. I've always heard horror stories from guys who get jerked around from PC'ers in my area...

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Guy out here does it for $25 a pop.

I've also read that they can powdercoat plastic.
I'm assuming that's a typo. They can't powdercoat plastic, the heat of the baking process will warp/distort/melt it.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I'm assuming that's a typo. They can't powdercoat plastic, the heat of the baking process will warp/distort/melt it.
For the most part, powder coating is used for metal objects—appliances, garden tools, engine parts, and so on. But any object that can be given an electrostatic charge is a potential candidate for powder coating. This includes glass, wood, and many kinds of plastic (think of your charged comb). The only problem comes in the curing process—plastic melts at fairly low temperatures, and wood can burn. So special types of resin powder have been created that melt at much lower temperatures; still others can be cured using infrared radiation, with curing times as short as a fraction of a minute.

http://itotd.com/articles/300/powder-coating/
There's a shop out here that does plastic and has more info on their site, but I can't remember the name of the shop ATM.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
here is my old hatchback with that same color on our red, well, milano red, but really close, and yes, thats "rattle can" on those wheels.
figs u had a Civic hatch.. typical PR... i had one too.. that ugly green 92.

hey i say do the rims black and clear it

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
There's a shop out here that does plastic and has more info on their site, but I can't remember the name of the shop ATM.
Huh, that's cool. Learn something new every day.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts