Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have a problem with parking brake sticking when you set and when you pull the release it pops but is still partially engaged.I pull the cable from below by the driver door.but it continues to get stuck.

·
Factory Fresh
1,898 Posts
yea mine started doing it last winter i thought it was cause it was cold and freezing but if theres some way to fix it then id like to know

·
Premium Member
2,498 Posts
I would guess that the cable needs some lubrication within the housing? But with that said, I haven't messed around with the parking brake cable nor have I had that problem with a car--mountain bikes & snow bikes on the other hand, I have to relube the cables with grease every season.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, ill just have to try to figure something out. maybe remove cable and lube. i dunno

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
I wonder if one of the lube systems for motorcycle cables would do the trick ?? It has a clip that fastens on the cable end and the lube hooks to the clip and sprays /lubes the cable without removal...IDK

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
Im in for info on this as well. I let someone borrow my old regular cab and they set the brake for some reason and then drove a few miles with it stuck and burned up my shoes and drums :anger:

·
Premium Member
9,764 Posts
Replace the cables or don't use the parking brake. if you're manual leave it in first or reverse and it will hold.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Yeah I just stopped using mine

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
That's probably what I'll do. Either that or just reach under and pull the cables around after I disengage it

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I'd undo it and shoot a shitton of wd40 and lube in them. I havent really had a problem with him sticking and its seen alot of mud along with mud/water while being below freezing. I use mine probably at least once a day.

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the parking brake? Over time the cables can stretch and may require adjustment.

PARK BRAKE ADJUSTMENT

1. Release the park brake pedal.
  2. Raise the vehicle.
  3. Clean the threads on the front park brake cable.
  4. Adjust the park brake cable until the right brake is locked.
  5. Apply and release the park brake 5 times.
  6. With the park brake in the release postion, adjust the park brake until thre right rear brake develops a slight drag.
  7. Back off the adjusting nut 2 complete turns.

Identifying the Front Park Brake Cable

View of the Park Brake Cable Adjusting Nut

·
Registered
650 Posts
just happened to me and the brake line goes to the passenger side is stuck. HELP?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Mine wasn't working when I got my truck. Pulled apart the system and found that it's the cable that goes from the pedal to the equalizer bracket. Turns out the cable was rubbing against part of the body and rubbed straight through to the cable itself and it seemed to have pinched it as well a lil after that point. Tried lubricating but was pointless. I just ordered the part from the dealer

·
Registered
162 Posts
Had my 2007 Canyon I5 since new. With all the problems I'd already read people were having I've never used the damn thing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts