Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoped to not have to post but I have read through multiple blinker threads and have not found my problem.

When switch is set to Auto, the parking lights come on. And as long as the truck is in park the passenger front light is illuminated but as soon as I put the truck in drive the parking light goes off. If the headlamps are activated (due to time of day) the parking light comes back on. In neither situation does the blinker work.

The first time this happened I just thought it was the bulb. I replaced but within two days it was doing this again. I have replaced today but I really don't expect it to stay on. Additionally, the old bulb was bubbled up on the outside. It wasn't black but it was as if the orange was melted on the outside of the bulb.

Anyone with experience or an idea at all? Thanks in Advance....

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
What year is your truck? The DRL system is a little bit different on some of the years. My truck activates the turn signals for daytime running lights, since it is an 05. Other truck models turn on the headlights for day time running lights, so the year could help us help you out :D

Could you get a quick video for us as well, as that might help us out too.

I assume you have already checked DRL fuses, parking lamp fuses, and headlamp fuses.

The fender ground locations cause some mysterious (never the same) problems on our trucks, so checking those out would be good as well.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
The fender ground locations cause some mysterious (never the same) problems on our trucks, so checking those out would be good as well.
Especially that..

From your description the turn-signals are a separate problem.

Other members have over time found that the "ground-pack" connection on the passenger-side can cause weird turn-signal problems.

In my opinion these trucks are about as reliable electrically as most vehicles of the past ten years, better than some.
Except... those damn-fool quick-connect ground connections.
Since those effect so many different circuits, when they go bad they can cause more than one weird unpredictable problem.

Those ground connectors are about one thing only, and that is saving costs in assembly.
The function they serve is about as simple as it gets, and correcting the problem is simple and cheap, but time-consuming.

As a start though, you can just pull it apart and clean the contacts.
That may help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The truck is a 2005. You are correct, daylight does not activate headlamps. As I just replaced the bulb, the parking lights and blinkers are working properly As soon as it malfunctions again I will video and upload for your review. We have checked the parking lamp fuses and could find no problem. We will definitely check the ground-pack connections. Thank you so much...and stay tuned....I expect it to happen again within the week.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts