Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to share my experience fixing this problem.

Truck info:
2009 Crew Cab LT 2.9L inline 4 2WD automatic transmission

Mode of failure:

The Truck won't start when turning the key, instead, a "click" can be heard behind the cluster, Lock icon on the dashboard light up and stays on. The only way to start the truck is to wait for 10 min and will start with no problem.

This problem is intermittent, sometimes happens, sometimes not. I was able to detect that it´s more often when you leave the truck sitting for a few days without starting it (For example weekends), it´s possible that passlock system is highly sensitive to battery voltage.

Final fix:

Replacing the passlock sensor located at the end of the ignition switch (The black part that connects to the electrical harness) attached a picture of the spare part.
Reference Youtube link to the procedure:
Note: After replacing the sensor, you might have to run through the key relearn process (turning on the truck, leave key in "ON" position for 10 min, switch "OFF", start again. Repeat 3 times, after that truck will start. )

Replacement Parts:
AC Delco part # D1462D
GM Part # 15795321
Picture:
Auto part Rectangle Font Plastic Engineering

This fix was performed on my truck back in Oct 2020. It's been a year since then with not a single issue. Fix Confirmed.

Final comments: This fix may apply to Chevy Colorado, GMC Canyon (2004 - 2012), and Hummer H3 All years.
Further videos of this procedure are available on youtube.

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
Just wanted to share my experience fixing this problem.

Truck info:
2009 Crew Cab LT 2.9L inline 4 2WD automatic transmission

Mode of failure:

The Truck won't start when turning the key, instead, a "click" can be heard behind the cluster, Lock icon on the dashboard light up and stays on. The only way to start the truck is to wait for 10 min and will start with no problem.

This problem is intermittent, sometimes happens, sometimes not. I was able to detect that it´s more often when you leave the truck sitting for a few days without starting it (For example weekends), it´s possible that passlock system is highly sensitive to battery voltage.

Final fix:

Replacing the passlock sensor located at the end of the ignition switch lock (The black part that connects to the electrical harness) attached a picture of the spare part.
Reference Youtube link to the procedure:
Note: After replacing the sensor, you might have to run through the key relearn process (turning on the truck, leave key in "ON" position for 10 min, switch "OFF", start again. Repeat 3 times, after that truck will start. )

Replacement Parts:
AC Delco part # D1462D
GM Part # 15795321
Picture:
View attachment 343172

This fix was performed on my truck back in Oct 2020. It's been a year since then with not a single issue. Fix Confirmed.

Final comments: This fix may apply to Chevy Colorado, GMC Canyon (2004 - 2012), and Hummer H3 All years.
Further videos of this procedure are available on youtube.
Good troubleshooting/repair. The part you replaced is more commonly referred to as the ignition switch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,
So I am having the same issue with my 2006 Colorado 3.5L 4x4. Started a week ago. Got in the truck, turned the key, no start/no crank. All interior and dash lights work and the addition of the passlock illumination…solid not blinking. My first thought was “battery”. Removed it, had it checked and it had a bad cell so I purchased a new one. Installed new battery only to get the same result; no crank/ no start. So I began research on 355 nation. Next step was to replace the ignition switch and do the 30x10 relearn. Done and result is the same…no crank/no start passlock solid illumination. At this point I am just about ready to pitch a hand grenade into it and call it! Any thoughts on this? Terribly frustrating!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I heard guys that required to repeat the 10 min sequence 4 times in order to get the passlock relarned. You migh want to give it a shot.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello,
So I am having the same issue with my 2006 Colorado 3.5L 4x4. Started a week ago. Got in the truck, turned the key, no start/no crank. All interior and dash lights work and the addition of the passlock illumination…solid not blinking. My first thought was “battery”. Removed it, had it checked and it had a bad cell so I purchased a new one. Installed new battery only to get the same result; no crank/ no start. So I began research on 355 nation. Next step was to replace the ignition switch and do the 30x10 relearn. Done and result is the same…no crank/no start passlock solid illumination. At this point I am just about ready to pitch a hand grenade into it and call it! Any thoughts on this? Terribly frustrating!
A key in better shape seemed to improve the situation. Can't recall if I ever had the issue again. But I ended up getting another tune as well, specifically requesting Passlock bypass. I'm pretty sure it went another 7 or so years up to this year without fail. It would occasionally flash the Passlock light on the dash with no stalls. Mine was a 2007. My last tune was Limeswap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts