Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am passlocked. I've done some research but have not found a solution yet. Is anyone else having a passlock issue. My truck, (2005, 2wd, I5, auto) was in storage and the battery went dead. I replaced the battery but passlock is locked. It started once after the new battery but it shut off. I tried doing a re-learn twice but no luck. Called the best dealer in SoCal and they told me to pound sand? Any suggestions other than throwing parts at it?:tdown:

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
I believe you have to tune it out but I could be wrong. I know when I tuned we had it turned off.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Mine acted up again Tuesday last week but just the opposite........motor won't start vs turns off. Dash light blinks and after 10 minutes, it starts fine. Never know when it will "no start" again. Dealer will "fix it" for a grand.....thanks GM.

·
Members Technical Staff
2,498 Posts
I'm still concerned that something turned a running engine off--is that what happened? I do not see how that's a Passlock issue...?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm still concerned that something turned a running engine off--is that what happened? I do not see how that's a Passlock issue...?

Yeah.......the engine "turning off" is basically why GM will paying billions in settlements.

·
Members Technical Staff
2,498 Posts
Exactly. If the passlock system thinks you are stealing the vehicle it shuts the fuel off. If it does not get the signal, that's what happens.

Passlock is designed to turn off the fuel when you are attempting to start the vehicle, not when it's already running.

How long was it running before it 'turned off' on its own?

I am no Passlock expert by any means but I have read the vast majority of Passlock threads when I had my episode a year or two ago, and I can't recall anyone saying Passlock turned their running vehicle off, it only prevented it from starting.

Perhaps I misinterpreted your post?

·
Registered
424 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, when u turn the key to run (not start), u can hear the fuel pump "hum/run" momentarily. When the Passlock engages/acts up, there's nothing but dead silence from the fuel pump....'cause it ain't runnin'. 10 minutes later all is good, Passlock has reset and away u go.

Turning the vehicle off while it's running/being driven is a lawsuit just waiting to happen, as GM has found out.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
The way it shut the engine off after it started and the light is on.
With the key in the run position (engine not running) is the passlock light blinking or steady on? The ones I've seen with a true passlock problem had the light blinking and none had the said problem of the motor turning off after it had been started. Like others have said it prevents someone from starting the motor and stealing it. Does it start and do you have a code reader? They had a cell and a code also along with the blinking light.

·
Registered
424 Posts
On mine, if the Passlock light is on steady (key in run position) it starts every time......if the light is blinking, not start......not for 10 minutes anyhow.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Passlock is designed to turn off the fuel when you are attempting to start the vehicle, not when it's already running.

How long was it running before it 'turned off' on its own?

I am no Passlock expert by any means but I have read the vast majority of Passlock threads when I had my episode a year or two ago, and I can't recall anyone saying Passlock turned their running vehicle off, it only prevented it from starting.

Perhaps I misinterpreted your post?

It only fired for a second and then shut off.

With the key in the run position (engine not running) is the passlock light blinking or steady on? The ones I've seen with a true passlock problem had the light blinking and none had the said problem of the motor turning off after it had been started. Like others have said it prevents someone from starting the motor and stealing it. Does it start and do you have a code reader? They had a cell and a code also along with the blinking light.
It was blinking and then when the fuel was shut off the light was solid on, then flashed when you turned the key.

If I'm not mistaken, when u turn the key to run (not start), u can hear the fuel pump "hum/run" momentarily. When the Passlock engages/acts up, there's nothing but dead silence from the fuel pump....'cause it ain't runnin'. 10 minutes later all is good, Passlock has reset and away u go.

Turning the vehicle off while it's running/being driven is a lawsuit just waiting to happen, as GM has found out.
Yes. That's why they have a problem.:salute:

James has already reprogrammed my computer and put a tune on it. As soon as it arrives I can do some repairs and get it back on the road. I have new unit bearings for the front, some new to me tires and I am going to swap in my new Currie Ent. Fab 9 rear housing. http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/productsRE.aspx?id=3549

1 - 16 of 16 Posts