Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
GM Customer Service sent me a response (yesterday) to a PM I sent them the day before. I called the GM Customer Service number they provided and explained to them the PASSLock problem I'm having and they said someone would have someone contact me in 24-48 hours.

About 45 minutes ago I got a call from my local GMC dealership and was advised to schedule an appointment to bring my Canyon by to have the problem analyzed to the tune of $145/hr. I explained to the tech that I only wanted the PASSLock "turned of", not repaired. I was then told "PASSLock/VATS cannot be turned off".......the same thing they told me 10 months ago and it would cost $1K to "fix/repair" it. I told the tech today that I had read on the Internet (355 Nation Forum) that it was as simple as having the right equipment (computer/programmer) plugged into the ALDL port under the dash, accessing the PASSLock/VATS window/link and selecting "off" from the menu. The response from the tech was "never heard of that, I'll have check further".

My question is.......am I all wet, don't know what I'm talking about, mis-read what I thought I read (here)???? Is there a little smoke blowing going on from the dealer???? I thought I remembered someone posting a pic of the computer window showing the PASSLock/VATS "on/off" selection but I can't seem to find that post with the pic. Could someone re-post that pic? Thanks. (PASSLock reared it's ugly head again this morning.......10 minutes later, all is good.)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hot dam......many thanks. does this mean I'm not "all wet" after all?

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
I doubt that you'll find a GM dealer willing to disable VATS on a vehicle. Reason being, without VATS your truck would be an easy target for would be thieves. Granted, you'd still need the key for the ignition, but that could be defeated without much effort.

You should also be aware that the passlock light will still come on even with VATS disabled. A piece of black tape over the light would cure that easily.

Disabling VATS with the tuner does not "correct" what's wrong per say, it does however prevent passlock from disabling your engine.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I doubt that you'll find a GM dealer willing to disable VATS on a vehicle. Reason being, without VATS your truck would be an easy target for would be thieves. Granted, you'd still need the key for the ignition, but that could be defeated without much effort.

You should also be aware that the passlock light will still come on even with VATS disabled. A piece of black tape over the light would cure that easily.

Disabling VATS with the tuner does not "correct" what's wrong per say, it does however prevent passlock from disabling your engine.
All understood and appreciated.......I just want a truck that I can count on it starting when the key is turned. I presume u mean the light comes on AND will stay on when VATS is disabled, correct? All any lock, or anti-theft system does, is keep an honest man honest....if they want whatever bad enough, they're gonna get it. Again, I just want a truck that starts when I turn the key. With all the hoopla GM is going thru as of late, one would think a little more understanding could be had. I just wish the dealership would say "yes, VATS can be turned off....but we r not allowed to do it" rather than blow smoke to the tune of $145/hr.

Onward thru the fog in finding someone local that can/will turn off VATS/PASSLock for a reasonable fee.:shrug:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Have you considered the "wire cut" fix?

There are a few tuners that can do a mail order tune if you can afford to be without your truck for a few days.

What part of Texas are you in? Google "Chevy Colorado HPtuners in Texas". A couple of threads address people who have HPtuners.

·
I'm "That Guy"
1,185 Posts
Do the one wire fix...I had the same issue for a while after I got my truck. The actual 'fix' really is around $1000...they have to replace the BCM iirc. Also, chances are even if you actually fix the problem, it'll come back with the new hardware eventually.

I got so sick of it happening that I was running late one day and it wouldn't start at the coffee shop on the way to work...got pissed, hopped on the nation on my phone and did the cut in the parking lot with my knife and some tape once I got it started again. Now I'm tuned with VATS disabled and I hooked the wire back up so the light would go off.

FYI, a mail order tune is only $100...Supermod (James) has amazing customer service for his. I eventually bought HPT altogether so I have it whenever I need it now.

Bottom line, cut the wire or get a tune, then install an aftermarket alarm and you're 100x better off than where you started.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
All understood and appreciated.......I just want a truck that I can count on it starting when the key is turned. I presume u mean the light comes on AND will stay on when VATS is disabled, correct? All any lock, or anti-theft system does, is keep an honest man honest....if they want whatever bad enough, they're gonna get it. Again, I just want a truck that starts when I turn the key. With all the hoopla GM is going thru as of late, one would think a little more understanding could be had. I just wish the dealership would say "yes, VATS can be turned off....but we r not allowed to do it" rather than blow smoke to the tune of $145/hr.

Onward thru the fog in finding someone local that can/will turn off VATS/PASSLock for a reasonable fee.:shrug:
The passlock light doesn't stay on once it is disabled. At lease on my truck it's not on and I disabled mine with HP Tuners. If you have a good alarm/security system installed on your truck you don't have anything to worry about. I know your feeling about wanting to feel confident that your truck will start when you get in it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WOW! Thanks to all for all the responses. It's the white wire with a blue stripe, correct?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yeah dude your asking someone who's naive to this variation of a fix. It's like asking some older folks to email you or text you. The tuner is a avenue us consumers went when we couldn't get the dealer to comply with our request.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My passlock is disabled, Supermod, and no light.
If you cut the wire, the passlock light will stay on.

If you turn off VATS with HPTuner, the light will not stay on. However, my passlock light flashes occasionally. I'm guessing that at those times passlock would have disabled me if had not been disabled on my truck using HPTuner.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts