Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

Is a chip worth it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ordered a smart tune stage 2 chip that plugs into the OBD port. Has anyone out here had one and can tell me if they noticed any differences in their Colorado or Canyon after install? Trust me, I’m not looking for a miracle and to be quite honest I wanted to go the HP Tuners route, but moneys tight right now and I couldn’t get ahold of anyone who could do that for me. Thanks in advance everyone!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess all I can do is update this post when I get it, it’s on its way now. I don’t know for 150 bucks I sure hope it does something

·
Registered
212 Posts
I am curious to hear your perceived results. Quantify whatever you can. Gas mileage, 1/8 times, 0-60

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it works guys I’ll leave a link for the one I bought, will be back with what I think about it when I get it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright guys and girls, so honestly..... this thing works, now I’m not talking a massive gain in horsepower and torque but I can definitely feel it more in the seat of my pants upon take off and regular cruising more... gas mileage I’m not sure yet just because I haven’t had it more than a day. And they say these things take up to 2 weeks to come in full effect. Personally I can’t say it was worth the $150, but it sure beats the hell out of spending 5-6 hundred for a Diablo tuner or something equivalent. If anyone’s interested in what I purchased this is the link: Stage 2 Performance Chip Module OBD2 For Chevrolet

·
Registered
212 Posts
Cool. Im glad it showed some promise. Let us know over the weekend if it improves as the computer adapts to the unit.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Personally I can’t say it was worth the $150, but it sure beats the hell out of spending 5-6 hundred for a Diablo tuner or something equivalent.
Glad you’re having fun with your chip. I still recommend a custom tune. Save your pennies. You’ll not be disappointed.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Alright guys and girls, so honestly..... this thing works, now I’m not talking a massive gain in horsepower and torque but I can definitely feel it more in the seat of my pants upon take off and regular cruising more... gas mileage I’m not sure yet just because I haven’t had it more than a day. And they say these things take up to 2 weeks to come in full effect. Personally I can’t say it was worth the $150, but it sure beats the hell out of spending 5-6 hundred for a Diablo tuner or something equivalent. If anyone’s interested in what I purchased this is the link: Stage 2 Performance Chip Module OBD2 For Chevrolet
Would this Chip Module be backward compatible , meaning if removed will there be no effect other than the truck returning back to it's original functioning mode ? Just wondering about what I would have to do to pass E-Check here in Ohio .:unsure:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would this Chip Module be backward compatible , meaning if removed will there be no effect other than the truck returning back to it's original functioning mode ? Just wondering about what I would have to do to pass E-Check here in Ohio .:unsure:
I have heard people will remove them and it takes a couple of days to return back to factory settings

·
Registered
212 Posts
Im speculating a bit here, but if you do a battery disconnect and unplug the unit, the pcm will go back to its base parameters. Then you drive to let it adapt to your truck and use. Net result is likely the same.

I admit, I'm curious. Now if that chip could also perform like my bluetooth OBD adapter and feed me live data... that would be real compelling. And if it could allow some customization, like VATS delete. I'd buy 2.
Sure seems more thought out than just the resistor that fakes a sensor input. So not hating on it at all. If it achieves 75% of what a mail order tune does, and can be undone easily while doing no harm, fun option to try.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I looked into this a lot more this weekend and I claim bogus . I used to work for a company called Hot Rod Paradise years ago , we sold legit high performance stuff and a lot of stuff I call snake oil . As an example we sold a gas saving device that fit between the carb and intake that had a " special screen " that would charge the fuel mixture before it made it's way to the cylinders yielding greater fuel mileage . What a hoax that people wasted good money on .
My issue with the chip module is the learning process . In my truck and cars the onboard computer system monitors air ,spark ,temperature, fuel , and I'm sure more ,adjusting all these things in fractions of seconds . Therefore I cant get past that the chip makes adjustments over time and not in a split second . For me to get behind this I need this chip module to work like flipping a light switch , boom it's on .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I looked into this a lot more this weekend and I claim bogus . I used to work for a company called Hot Rod Paradise years ago , we sold legit high performance stuff and a lot of stuff I call snake oil . As an example we sold a gas saving device that fit between the carb and intake that had a " special screen " that would charge the fuel mixture before it made it's way to the cylinders yielding greater fuel mileage . What a hoax that people wasted good money on .
My issue with the chip module is the learning process . In my truck and cars the onboard computer system monitors air ,spark ,temperature, fuel , and I'm sure more ,adjusting all these things in fractions of seconds . Therefore I cant get past that the chip makes adjustments over time and not in a split second . For me to get behind this I need this chip module to work like flipping a light switch , boom it's on .
Well everyone I can promise you I have felt a difference in shift points as well as overall acceleration, while it may not be worth the full $150, I’m happy with the chip. All I can say is buy one for yourself if you cannot find someone to tune your 355 from a laptop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I ordered a smart tune stage 2 chip that plugs into the OBD port. Has anyone out here had one and can tell me if they noticed any differences in their Colorado or Canyon after install? Trust me, I’m not looking for a miracle and to be quite honest I wanted to go the HP Tuners route, but moneys tight right now and I couldn’t get ahold of anyone who could do that for me. Thanks in advance everyone!

put a stage 2 on my 09 2.9 and cant tell much of a difference. i paid 150 for mine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Glad you’re having fun with your chip. I still recommend a custom tune. Save your pennies. You’ll not be disappointed.
My friend got this 2008 Colorado fun project and he's thinking of getting a tune. We'll start working on it after we finished installing the set of tires from 4Wheelonline onto the Wrangler. It seems a custom tune is a better option.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts