Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

2361 - 2380 of 2386 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I usually carry my camera strapless. But when I do a race I have the strap. Then I can keep it over my shoulder as the runners are more spaced. Early in a race they are pretty tight.
The weight didn't bother me, but unlike a wedding it isn't really a lot of moving around and composing the best shot.
For runners, it's more a matter of tracking them long enough to clear the background or make sure they are focused, repeat.

The worst part for me this past year when I used the 70-200 was getting to my spot. I elected to run the 2.5 miles to where I staged myself. I was over dressed (January) and had to carry almost 5 lbs of gear in my hand. A water bottle in one, and the camera/lens in the others. About 45 minutes of runners then I ran back the 2.5 miles to another spot, 3/4+ one way to meet them again.
But hey, that's what makes us good, right?

The Tamron I had left a bad taste in my mouth. It was far from sharp unless you shot in the sweet spot (which most lenses are anyway), but what was worse in my opinion was the zoom creep. If you didn't shoot horizontally you couldn't get any longer exposures because you needed to hold the lens from 'zooming'.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Enjoy the new hobby!

Lots of info on Google about your camera. It's a great beginner (and more) camera.

Here is my pro tips for using it.
Turn it on, point it at something and press the shutter release button. :D

I hope you enjoy it. Start out in Auto mode then when you feel like venturing out somewhat, experiment with the creative modes such as Aperture and Shutter Priority modes.

·
CALI BOSS
6,308 Posts
Get the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. It'll help you understand the exposure triangle

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Do any of you guys have tips for time lapse photography of rain? Does it make a good video, or is it pretty boring?

I want to put my GoPro in my truck and capture but I don't know what I'll be able to see aside from rain clouds, and rain? I'll crop in post to remove the hood or whatever is in my view depending on what glass I point through. There is a system moving through, so maybe all I'll get is swaying trees and a wet window. I won't be able to point at anything in particular such as the ground where pools of water may form, unfortunately.
Oh, and what's the glare like during the day in cloudy conditions? Will I have 900 shots of my interior reflected back? My test in the garage was at least showing my messy garage walls.

My truck will be parked, and I'll shoot while I'm at work. I'm thinking about 2.5 hours at 10 seconds. If there isn't much going on I won't let it run so long though. My longest so far is an hour at 5 second interval.

·
CALI BOSS
6,308 Posts
If you can get a good vantage point of the sky, it can be interesting. You'll get the cloud movement. Only rain droplets that you'll capture would be what hits the lens or windshield. There are a few videos on youtube of rainy weather time lapses.

Here's one that looks similar to what you're describing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb7g3N-wCro

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Well it can't hurt to try. If I get to park in a good spot I'll be able to point towards the mountains, if they are visible through cloud cover.

I took a few time lapse's over the weekend of the sky. They turned out pretty neat watching the clouds.

I'll see forward and up most likely. Unless the clouds get creative I'm sure it will come out sort of boring.

I've looked at youtube this evening and haven't found much that is very interesting. The winds are going to pick up too, so 10 seconds should be pretty adequate. My next choice is 30 seconds but that won't net enough frames unless I want to shoot for longer.

·
CALI BOSS
6,308 Posts
10 second intervals should be good. Yeah, we're expecting the Pineapple Express Here in NorCal and they are projecting 3"-8" of rain between Thursday and Friday. I hope Saturday is clear because I have a wedding to shoot that day!

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Sounds like the same system we're getting up here.

On the bright side for the wedding, the contrast between the dark clouds and the white dress should play together nicely. It will accentuate the running mascara and the out of control hair.

Good luck!

·
CALI BOSS
6,308 Posts
Sounds like the same system we're getting up here.

On the bright side for the wedding, the contrast between the dark clouds and the white dress should play together nicely. It will accentuate the running mascara and the out of control hair.

Good luck!
Haha I know, right?!

Yup, the Pineapple Express is hitting Oregon pretty hard now. I'm in Stockton, South of Sacramento. Where are you located?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Yep, I remember seeing that video.

I've got about 800 of these. GoPro seems to do a decent job of shutter adjustment. This was one of the end shots, taken just before 5:00. 1/2 second exposure. Too bad I went out to shut it down.

Now I need a high vantage point for night shots so I can get time lapse of streaky lights.

·
CALI BOSS
6,308 Posts
I spend a lot of time on that forum lol

I'm still getting used to the new look that Pekka formatted the forum into

·
CALI BOSS
6,308 Posts
yea the new format is pretty crazy, but im starting to really like it.
I like it as well. I just wish the notifications worked.:th_s52:

2361 - 2380 of 2386 Posts