Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to get me new (to me) pioneer double din installed hopefully sooner rather than later. I under stand the dilema people have with onstar and so forth but the more i search and read the more conflicting results i get. Some say you MUST use the GMRC-01 regardless of if you want to retain the chime. I dont have any need for the chime unless that unit affects more than the chime. The unit that i bought from a friend, had it installed in his wifes jeep liberty, already has an axxess box of some sort wired to it. Will this work or is it vehicle specific? I guess im trying to make sure i have what i need to complete the install. There is a mounting frame on the unit as well but im assuming it wont bolt up. I can post pics if needed and i appreciate being set straight. Ive been searching for too many hours only to be more confused lol. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Research Crutchfield to see what you may need to do with what you got... Good luck with the install !!!

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
You need some type of retention module, or wire direct to the battery.

Do it right the first time and you'll be happier in the future. There are a lot of electrical gremlins that show up after cutting corners on a HU installation.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I'm guessing the instructions are crap or I did something wrong lol. Sprung for the gmos-01 and the instructions said to connect the red wire on the harness to the red wire on the radio harness. Makes no sense to me where power is coming from but the guy at best buy assured me it comes from the radio harness in the truck. I'm assuming I need to run a power wire to these two? Also the pair of greys and pair of whites from the radio harness aren't connected to anything :/

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well some patients and a test light later she's working. Had to splice into the harness because once I got it to power I had only rear speakers, got the fronts spliced into the chime box and viola.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im happy with the end product. Still need to replace the door speakers as the fronts are completely shot and the rears aren't much better. Then to find a sub setup. Nothing from my last system works in this truck haha.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Good stuff I am about to do the same for myself, but with the GMRC-02 and a Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS. My front drivers speaker is ripped also from age.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good luck! My test light came in handy lol. I bought my truck and discovered the blown speakers on the test drive. i knew id be changing them out anyways so i just haggled the price a bit more haha.

Have fun with your install!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice radio. I didn't have to connect my front speakers to the chime box. I settled for the more expensive box from crutchfield and it took all of five minutes to hook everything up. I also went with a Pioneer head unit.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Kenwood from Crutchfield.... Nuff said !!! LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts