Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive read ALOT about plasti dip on this site and i have a victory red colorado with alot of chrome (door handels, rims, bumpers, grille, etc. etc.) I wanna turn my bumpers and grille black plasti dip i think it might look better than chrome. Does plasti dip really peel off as easy as ive seen? you guys paint your canyon and colorado emblems and are able to peel off overspray does that mean i could paint my grille and in a week peel it all off if i dont like it? and what if i decide to keep it black can i wax and wash plasti dip or will it come off? seems more like a temporary paint to me?

·
Bagged Bomber
10,954 Posts
Yes it peels off but its not super easy to do from what Ive seen on here. Ive never done it so its not first hand knowledge

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yep, it just peels right off like it wasn't there. I prep the surface prior to application with denatured alcohol but thats not necessary.

The key to allowing it peel off easy is 4-5 coats. There a video on youtube of a guy using a pressure washer on Plasti-Dip. The stuff is pretty durable.

Let me see if I can find the video.

Edit: Here be the video. Channel also has a bunch of informative videos on application.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I removed plastidip from my rims a few weeks ago, took about 10 mins a wheel to get it all completely off.. pretty easy in my case. I aslo have my center grill dipped.

·
How d'ya like them apples
941 Posts
Its very easy to peel off but its durable also.

I have my wheels done and my front bowtie. All painted about 2 months ago, the bowtie has held up but the wheels. Well I rushed painting them and I have had to go back and touch up.

Before

After

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My biggest concern is say I do my grille and front bumper bugs splat on them that are tough to get off so I do a little scrubbing with a sponge when I'm washing my truck is the plasti dip going to peel off and I'm going to have to re do the paint job?

·
Registered
141 Posts
My biggest concern is say I do my grille and front bumper bugs splat on them that are tough to get off so I do a little scrubbing with a sponge when I'm washing my truck is the plasti dip going to peel off and I'm going to have to re do the paint job?
From what I've noticed bugs don't smear/stick like they do to chrome

·
Registered
55 Posts
My little experience with it to repair/replace several tool handles is that it wears like rubber so no I don't believe it will scrub off. As long as you do several coats. (4+) But if you peel the edge up it will strip off relatively easily.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
I did the GMC logo in my grille last summer and its still holding up with 2 layers of it on there. I have pressure washed it many times and scrubbed it with a sponge too to get the bug guts off and it has not peeled yet. I also did my spare wheel/tire underneath the truck for protection and it seems to be holding up as well.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I did my center bar, rear bowtie and all 4 wheels.... the grille cleans perfectly, of course dont scrub it insanely hard, but I never had a problem with it.. When I went and cleaned my rims I did it as I would normally, never had any chips. I removed it from my wheels only because I wasnt happy with black wheels. Ill tell you what though that stuff would have lasted for years!

here is my grille.

and when the wheels were done.

·
Registered
330 Posts
for those that have plasti dipped their bumpers. is it best to take off the plastic trim like the valance on the front and the steps on the back? or should i leave them on to do it? because i hate crome, and i want it gone asap

·
Registered
187 Posts
I sprayed my whole rear bumper, including the steps, and I noticed that it kind of bridges between the chrome and the plastic. I really don't mind, because you won't notice unless you're close up. Your call

·
Registered
150 Posts
Bro. Plasti Dip is awesome. Just did my front/rear bumpers, decal, and all 4 tires. I am thoroughly, thoroughly pleased.
these rims look so good! how many coats did you do?

i have the same rims and i was skeptical about plasti dipping them but this made me want to do them so bad now

1 - 20 of 27 Posts