Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been playing with my VE tuning since I did head porting and header. Now thanks to a suggestion on Facebook I’m playing with Vvt. I Advanced the exhaust cam down low, and have it retarded to 20* based off feel and an older post I found on here. Feels like the truck doesn’t lay over up too like it used to. Anyone else messed with Vvt with good results? Also anything else I should play with on these engines? I usually do gen3 v8s.
Font Rectangle Line Screenshot Material property

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My truck is a 2010 3.7. Our settings will be diffrent, but the principal is the same. Yes your numbers are degrees of retard on the tables (assuming they’re like mine).
Basically, at low rpm you want to advance the exhaust cam to reduce overlap. Less overlap means more low end power. I set mine to 0 degrees, because I don’t know if this system is capable of actual advance (a negative number on the table) and I also don’t know how far before the piston hits valves. The two extremes on my tables are 0* and 24*, so I know anywhere in there is safe as far as clearance.
high rpm you want to retard the cam to increase overlap. This is what really seemed to help my truck.

I used 0* from idle to 2500, stock until 3400, and then 22* from there up and the truck really likes it. I blended a few rows for a softer transition as well.
My log showed peak torque at 217ftlb. I need to put the cam timing to stock and see what the difference is. Too bad the battery in my laptop just quit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it’s engine estimated torque. The same thing it uses to estimate torque for torque management or trans tables. Faintly accurate and repeatable. Especially the same day. My sierra made 330whp and like 300 tq and the scanner was within 5ftlb of the dyno. Also you can make your own pid based of torque and rpm to give your HP number. I haven’t touched my maf yet, I’m still working on ve. Haven’t done much with maf on any of my cars honestly. And fwiw my engine had the Vvt at 9 at wot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts