Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having issues with my brakes. The other morning on my way to work my brakes felt slightly engaged. It felt like i was towing a trailer. On the way to a store after work they were so bad my wheels started to wobble and I really had to get on the gas to get into the parking lot. When I left the store to go home my brakes had returned to normal and felt fine. Now this morning they felt the same as my previous trip to work, slightly engaged the entire way.

This all started after I took out the brake switch to repair it and reinstalled it. I did have to press on the pedal with my hand a couple times to get the switch out.

Where do I start? I have a 200 mile trip tomorrow afternoon so I need to fix this quick. I'm pretty sure it's the front brakes as they both smell when i get out of the truck.

calipers seizing up? something else?

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
when you re-installed the brake switch, did you make sure to hold the pedal out while installing the switch? i had what seems to be a very similar problem that you have now and it was because i did not re-install the new switch properly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what do you mean by hold the pedal out while installing the switch? Do you think the switch was reinstalled too far forward holding the pedal down a small amount more than before?

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
what do you mean by hold the pedal out while installing the switch? Do you think the switch was reinstalled too far forward holding the pedal down a small amount more than before?
If you had the switch out and didn't install it properly, amoore117 is probably correct. The switch can hold the brake pedal down and cause the brake to drag. Remove the switch. Hold the brake pedal aft (towards the steering wheel). Reinstall the switch, while holding the brake pedal aft against the stop. Do not allow the switch to move the pedal during installation..

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
If you had the switch out and didn't install it properly, amoore117 is probably correct. The switch can hold the brake pedal down and cause the brake to drag. Remove the switch. Hold the brake pedal aft (towards the steering wheel). Reinstall the switch, while holding the brake pedal aft against the stop. Do not allow the switch to move the pedal during installation..
This is exactly what i mean, sorry i was trying to figure out how to word it the proper way and was drawing a blank.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Something that confused me when I read your original statement.

You described the braking as you are towing a trailer. To me that means the brakes are only partially engaging and your braking is very limited.
Or did you mean the brakes are dragging and it is sluggish to accelerate as if you were towing?

Do you mean your brakes are dragging (always engaged) or not engaging enough (taking too long to slow the vehicle).

I more believe that your brakes are dragging, not ineffective though. If so, I think the other guys have you covered since it seems like a brake switch thing.

There is a how-to around here someplace. I can't find it right now. Maybe one of the others can find the post to install the switch. I found one about repair, but it doesn't not indicate how to reinstall it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow thanks for all the quick replies! amoore and cart- im thinking and hoping that is the case. I'm pretty sure it is bc i pressed the brake pedal in when reinstalling it. Also I never had problems prior to the reinstall of the switch. First time working with a brake switch and just wasn't thinking. I guess I'll find out when i get done with work.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Do you use your emergency brake at all?

If so its common they freeze up in the cold wet weather

1 - 11 of 11 Posts