Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so here's my question. I am wanting to get some new wheels. I really want some 15x8 Fuel Revolvers. However, I have been told by a few tire places that they will not fit due to the offset/backspace which is -18 or 3.75". They have told me that I won't be able to turn, is this true? And if so will a -12 work? I want the tire to stick out a good bit because I enjoy that look.

Right now I do rub on the swaybar but it's nothing too serious.

Specs of the truck they are going on
06 z85 2wd
2.5 inch leveling kit
Currently on 31x10.5x15 bfg at, z71 wheels

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
54 Posts
You should be ok, I ran a 15x8 wheel with 3.70 inches of backpacking completely stock with zero rubbing. I now run that same wheel on 5 inch lift spindles on 32x11.50 and all I had to do was trim the lower bumper valence like 2 inches or so. I never rub unless i'm wheeling, but even then it doesn't happen often.

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,573 Posts
3.75 really is quite a bit. Because it's poked out so stinking far, the inner edge may clip the bumper/valance. For instance, when turning left, the inside of the tire swings from right to left, and the interference point may be just as the tire exits the fender well.

I have no experience, but with what you're trying to accomplish, that is in theory how the tire arc will swing.

For reference, Z71 (wide flares) fit nicely with 4.5" backspace. You are considering a 3/4" further protrusion, and even with a Z85. I know looks are personal preference, but my opinion is with that much lift and that size tire, it will look like you made a mistake when you swiped your card and purchased that setup.
Half of your wheel will be outside of the body line. Even more pronounced down low as the body panel wraps inward on the bottom of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
I am running a 32x11.50-15 now, on a 15x8 with a 3.75 backspace, with three inches of lift. You may have to trim the fender flare and inner wheel well lining at the rear of the front fender, I did. I was rubbing at full lock. Trimmed just a little bit off and no more rub. If you stay with a 31x10.50 you probably won't have to trim anything.

·
Premium Member
6,573 Posts
A little rubbing on the inside may be okay, but not the bumper.

IF you hit there and the suspension cycles, what happens to the tire when the bumper is pushed into it?

Digem says it's clear though, so there you go. It will fit. His tire is bigger than yours, so you're golden.
As mentioned earlier, I can't speak from experience and was just meant for you to consider going into the purchase. If you are buying locally, you can have your shop test fit a wheel with those specs. If they aren't willing to work with you it may be in your best interest to find a different shop so you can actually drive out of the parking lot due to no steering loss. :)

Edit: Sorry, just noticed that OP and Digem don't drive the same truck. The 2wd Z85 is quite lower than a Z71. Not sure what that means, but maybe something to consider.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
A little rubbing on the inside may be okay, but not the bumper.

IF you hit there and the suspension cycles, what happens to the tire when the bumper is pushed into it?

Digem says it's clear though, so there you go. It will fit. His tire is bigger than yours, so you're golden.
As mentioned earlier, I can't speak from experience and was just meant for you to consider going into the purchase. If you are buying locally, you can have your shop test fit a wheel with those specs. If they aren't willing to work with you it may be in your best interest to find a different shop so you can actually drive out of the parking lot due to no steering loss. :)

Edit: Sorry, just noticed that OP and Digem don't drive the same truck. The 2wd Z85 is quite lower than a Z71. Not sure what that means, but maybe something to consider.
He has the 2.5 inches of lift up front and currently runs the 31 inch tire. Worst case scenario is that he rubs the inner fender liner at full lock. Easy trim, but just my opinion. There is a truck on here with the set up he is considering,

http://www.355nation.net/forum/lift...-wheel-set-ups-needed-data-2.html#post1856002

Zonkey says no issues with rubbing.

·
Premium Member
6,573 Posts
He has the 2.5 inches of lift up front and currently runs the 31 inch tire. Worst case scenario is that he rubs the inner fender liner at full lock. Easy trim, but just my opinion. There is a truck on here with the set up he is considering,

http://www.355nation.net/forum/lift...-wheel-set-ups-needed-data-2.html#post1856002

Zonkey says no issues with rubbing.
My only concern was with that shallow offset that the wheel carries a different radius. You clear but you are quite a bit taller. Wanted to be clear that the trucks are not the same and while it works for you, his truck isn't comparable. Your tires is only like 1/2" taller across the radius, but your truck is taller by inches.

However, you did find the link where another clears so that should be good enough. Our trucks are so finicky with tire fitment sometimes. Nice to go into a purchase knowing driveability isn't compromised for cosmetics.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.