Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there is a million spark plug companys do they make a difference? what kind should I buy?

also what about distributor and plug wires? I remember when I was in highschool all of the ricer kids went out and bought clear distributors and gained like a bazillion horses off of it. but is ther any kind of anything that you can get from an after market one?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dunno about the distributor dude...I run the Bosch Platinums in my truck...makes a lot of difference. Of course, for you, that'd be a step down...I believe you're already running iridiums...I'd just stick with those.

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
We don’t have plug wires or distributor caps to replace. Our Trucks have individual coil packs that sit right on top of our spark plugs pretty much eliminating the use of plug wires. I upgraded to Denso iridium’s but I’m pretty sure gm uses some sort of there own Iridium plugs stock.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm... alright and thanks for moving this I didn't know where it would go.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
07's come stock with Iridiums. 04-06 are platinums, and from my experience the ACDelco platinums suck. I switched to Denso's as well.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
No, I don't think so. It was a new for '07 thing as I remember making it a point to show all the people that had been saying "Why are you guys swapping out the stock platinums for Iridiums, if GM felt it needed them it would use them!" :lol:

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
We don’t have plug wires or distributor caps to replace. Our Trucks have individual coil packs that sit right on top of our spark plugs pretty much eliminating the use of plug wires. I upgraded to Denso iridium’s but I’m pretty sure gm uses some sort of there own Iridium plugs stock.
My hero... you save me so much typing :lmao: :355:

·
Nation Affiliate
1,005 Posts
I got the bosch +4 also you also get better horsepower with the individual coil packs because you dont lose power to your spark due to resistance of wires.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Hmmm...even though I'm only at 20,000 miles, maybe some iridium plugs will help smooth out my idle. It's not rough and isn't a constant issue, but it sporadically dips a little low and causes the truck to slightly vibrate abnormally/shudder.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Hmmm...even though I'm only at 20,000 miles, maybe some iridium plugs will help smooth out my idle. It's not rough and isn't a constant issue, but it sporadically dips a little low and causes the truck to slightly vibrate abnormally/shudder.
Sounds like someone needs an idle bump from HPtuners ;)

You ever get a digital readout of your RPM's so you know what your really idling at? The tach doesnt show exact RPM's and if your truck is set @ 600 rpms you'll see those issues (I did). Now I idle @ 750 while in gear and 700 while in neutral and park.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts

You ever get a digital readout of your RPM's so you know what your really idling at? The tach doesnt show exact RPM's and if your truck is set @ 600 rpms you'll see those issues (I did). Now I idle @ 750 while in gear and 700 while in neutral and park.
i got an idle bump and that doesnt get rid of the idle dip issue, just makes it so the trucks idle doesnt drop as low

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Obviously it needs to be set a little higher then...

Also... when it dips are you in neutral or in gear?

·
Registered
4,682 Posts

I'm planning on getting tuned the next time I'm up in the Bay Area.

And no, I don't have a digital readout of my actual RPM's.

I've only noticed it while idling in neutral. I never idle in gear.

So you suggest the idle needs to be set slightly higher?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I'm planning on getting tuned the next time I'm up in the Bay Area.

And no, I don't have a digital readout of my actual RPM's.

I've only noticed it while idling in neutral. I never idle in gear.

So you suggest the idle needs to be set slightly higher?
Well from the factory usually the truck is set with the same idle limit in gear and while in neutral/park. Your best bet is to have the idle limit bumped up to something like 750-800 if your having issues with the idle dipping. If you truck is a 04 it's gonna have a 600 idle which is crap...

And I was actually asking skizzo about his because I tuned it but we didn't test anything. Next time I see ya Justin i'll bump it a bit more and we'll check it out to make sure it doesnt dip anymore.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Obviously it needs to be set a little higher then...

Also... when it dips are you in neutral or in gear?
i dont think setting it higher will do any good at all. when my idle dips it does it in gear or nuetral... usually when coming to a stop.... i dont see where just setting it higher would make it not dip... its currently at 800 right now and doesnt dip near as low as it used to .... but still dips

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Well as I explained to you at the meet... the number in the computer is only a number to shoot for. I have a feeling that dip is just the drag on the motor from the manual trans. My auto never dips while decelerating, even rapidly.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hmm I have the same problem as Rudy....maybe I should hook up the tech 2 one of these days and drive around the block and see what the idle's at in gear and in neutral?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts