Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 17. I ordered these component speakers. They come tomorow. HELP!!!!!!!
haha going to be a long day. can anyone who has installed or knows about these speakers answer a couple of questions that i have?
first off is the crossover thingy (lol). If i had to guess i'd say that there is one on each side for each set of woofers and tweeters (?). My next assumption is basically that the two wires from the stock woofer and the two from the stock tweeter all connect to each of the four screws on one side of the cross over. Then on the other side two new wires travel to each of the two speakers.
Am i right? If so, does + and - matter?
Next is to set up the woofer i just use the included frame looking thingy and drill some holes so itll bolt into factory location? Is there an easier way?
And i have no idea how i will install the tweeter, is anything included?
thank you!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Their should be an input on each crossover and two sets of outputs for the mid and tweeter.

You might have to get creative with your door woofer with a spacer. I heard some speakers come with spacers. Mine didnt so I kind of modified the stock one.

·
CALI BOSS
6,326 Posts
That is not correct.

You will take the wires going into the factory woofer and extend them to connect to teh input of the crossover. Then you will take two speaker wire pairs and run one back to the db6501 woofer and one to the 6501 tweeter.

The 6501 tweeter will bolt to the hole of the stock speaker but you will need to drill/tap new screws. Only 3 may be needed.

The 6501 tweeter will need to be mounted to the door panel surface so you will need to cut a hole for it. You can use a 1 7/8" hole saw the trim it out to fit the tweeter snugly.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got a thick skull lol. So the fact tweet wires do not connect to the xover? And I wasn't aware that the factory speakers came with a housing, could you explain in more detail how you made that work?

·
CALI BOSS
6,326 Posts
You could re-use the factory tweeter wires to run from the crossover to the 6501 tweeter if it is long enough depending on where you mount the crossover.

The factory woofer has a plastic ring that is glued to the back of them. You can remove it and install the new woofer to it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For a second I was thinking u were on eastern time and as crazy as me. Not so. So the only input on the xover are the two wires from the woofer? I'm having a hard time picturing what will happen with the current wires connected to the tweeter. An I just popped off those plastic pieces but am not sure what to do with them, there aren't any holes I can use for mounting in them.

·
CALI BOSS
6,326 Posts
No, there is only 1 input on the crossover and 2 outputs.

The one speaker input will come from the factory speaker wire that is currently connected to the factory woofer. Then you will have 2 ouput speaker wires. one to the new 6501 woofer and 1 to the new 6501 tweeter. The crossover will be marked as to which wires go where.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,275 Posts
I need an amp for mine!

I have the DB series in the front and rear as well!

1. I reused the factory speaker buckets with very little work.
2. I also threw some dyonmat on the doors before I installed the new speakers
3. I also did the same tweeter install that Dan mentioned; surface mount!
4. When in doubt call your life line and make sure the job is done right the first time!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts