Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
252,000+ Miles
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a couple people post that they were able to find polyurethane body mounts that fit our truck (but not made for our truck) but never a brand or part number.

Anyone know which ones may work? Looking to do it this summer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
im interested in this as well!

·
252,000+ Miles
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If we could get dimensions for our stock body mounts and compare them to a few different trucks, I bet we could find a match.

People DO say that poly body mounts creak more and ride harder, so I'm reconsidering, but I need to replace them this year so....

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Body roll is more in the suspension department.

This week I'm replacing all the othe upper/lower control arm bushings.......I would write up a "How To" but I will have a very limited time in the shop

·
Super Moderator
1,880 Posts
I am interested in the dimensions for the control arm bushings as well as the leaf spring bushings and shackle bushings.

I used to have the bumper to bumper kit on my S10. It was a great improvement over the stock rubber components.

Want to see if I can source a complete bumper to bumper kit over time and build the list @Goros is talking about.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Bringing the back from the dead. I am interested too. I want to get rid of the body roll...
@Rick_crew If you have your mounts that you just got in, could you take dimensions so someone could go find a Poly alternative?
Sure, I'll do that.
There are three different ones (on my crew-cab anyway), and they're not a simple cylinder shape, but I can get overall dimensions, diameter at the ends, length overall, and the diameter of the through-hole.

As mentioned though, those are the cab-to-body mounts. They don't have influence on anything except the small bit of movement of the body relative to the frame..

I'm only replacing them 'cause the steel sleeve through which the bolt goes becomes corroded/rusty over time, as does the bolt.
At low speed, as the cab rocks very slightly on the frame over bumps, etc they squeak.
Took me more than a year to figure out it wasn't the leaf-springs, and only when a member here suggested the mounts. That was in '12.

I removed them one at a time then, cleaned-up the rust, and greased them.
I could see then though that in time they were gonna become a bit soft.

I'm probably wasting cash on them, but I'm trying to get my truck fresh for the long haul (at 135K now, planning to keep her..).

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
That's it Rich.

I posted in off-topic that when placing an order with Nalley I spasticated the part-numbers.
Because their site asks you for the VIN, the part-numbers I entered didn't agree with the VIN database, and Nalley emailed me asking that I call.

I did, and they were very helpful working with me on the phone to get the correct numbers together.

Great folks there, I'll go to their site first for most things in the future.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I am interested in the dimensions for the control arm bushings as well as the leaf spring bushings and shackle bushings.
I have fresh shackle bushings.
I can get dimensions for them also, later tonight.

I don't have a micrometer..
I do have a 6-inch machinists scale though.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
To update..

I did get dimensions for the body mounts and the shackle bushings.
I also took some pics of the body mounts.
I'll post in the next day or two.

Some points:
On my crew-cab there are three different body mount part-numbers.
The dimensions are exactly the same for all.

The difference seems to be that some are stiffer than the others.
That was tough to determine given that they are all very solid chunks of molded rubber, but if you grip them tightly and wobble the steel insert you can tell the difference.

Having now had all the body mounts installed in my '05 model, I can tell you that the body mounts are part of the chassis "tuning".
Replacing the body mounts was the only thing we were able to do today and it made a very noticeable improvement in the road-feel.
My truck now feels much closer to factory-fresh. I was really a little surprised how much difference it does make.

My shackle bushings are dry-rotted and worn, so I'm confident that replacing them will make a nice improvement also. The shop was short-staffed today and they couldn't easily get to that.

I'm planning a major front-end rebuild and front brake-job in a month, so I just decided to take care of the shackle bushings then.
I decided also to buy new shackles before then 'cause the originals are so rusted.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
What is the best grease to use on the body mounts? Will regular lithium grease be fine?

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Used lithium grease on mine.
Can't imagine anything else would be better, but there are folks here who are way smarter than I. Maybe someone has a better suggestion.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
I'm bringing this old thread back to life and would like to know if anyone has found a source for the polyurethane body mount bushings?

Also can you tell me if the mounts in the rear are softer or harder than the front or middle mounts?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I myself would want to know if there are body mounts available besides buying OEM ones from the dealer. My cab mounts need replacing

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
I myself would want to know if there are body mounts available besides buying OEM ones from the dealer. My cab mounts need replacing
My cab to bed alignment has sunk over time because all the bushings have dry-rotted and the Xtreme side skirts don't even line up anymore.

I still haven't done mine either. Factory is still it, unless someone has taken the measurements and hunted down poly for other vehicles that will work.
I might have to order a new set of bushings just to check the dimensions & durometer specifications if nobody has this info.

I can machine my own polyurethane bushings from a piece of 24 or 36-inch long tube for the price of two factory oem upper bushings.

·
Super Moderator
1,880 Posts
My cab to bed alignment has sunk over time because all the bushings have dry-rotted and the Xtreme side skirts don't even line up anymore.

I might have to order a new set of bushings just to check the dimensions & durometer specifications if nobody has this info.

I can machine my own polyurethane bushings from a piece of 24 or 36-inch long tube for the price of two factory oem upper bushings.

If that's turns out for the better, then you can start selling them. I would be in the market for some poly love.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts