Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.. so a few years back with my first 355 I bought a set of Belltech 4206 2" springs for an EC/CC and a set of 3" blocks. I never got around to installing them on the truck before I sold it a number of years ago and the parts got packed away in a box in the garage.

Now I've got an 04 Colly extended cab zq8 but the one thing that I hate is the fender gap. Well not too long ago I was rearranging the garage for a new project and I came across these lowering parts that I'd forgotten about.

Now my truck is starting to ride pretty crappy, especially in this wonderful WNY cold. So I figure its ready for some new shocks/struts, therefore no better time to put some of these lowering parts to use.

So, bored today at work and looking through other's suspension drops and some old discussions has got me to thinking about how much coil I should cut off of the 4206's to achieve a 3" overall drop on the front... 1 coil? 1.5? Thoughts, suggestions? Thanks for anybodys input.

Obiously I would love a set of 2" balljoints but they're just not in the budget for the daily and the coils/blocks are basically free parts at this point so trying to do this on the cheap.

My truck in all its stock suspension glory (because everybody loves pictures):

·
Registered
26 Posts
I hate to say it because it is time consuming but I'd start small. Try 1/2 see where you're at, then a full coil, then more if you need it. It's a pain but once it's cut you can't go back. I put a set of lowering springs on a Ford Expedition I had and I bet I cut those springs at least 3 times. But I had an exact look I wanted and took my time to make sure it was perfect. By the last time I could pull those front struts about as quick as I could do a set of brakes. Good luck and update us with pics.

Victor

·
Registered
26 Posts

This was with a 2" block on a ZQ8 for reference. And don't forget a low pro crossmember.

Victor

·
5,959 Posts
I highly recommend not cutting springs. Just put the kit on and see where u get man. A low pro transcrossmember is not necessary but it will help on ocassions

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys. Im not too worried about not liking the outcome of the cut springs because I'll have my stock zq8 coils to fall back on.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh Im well aware of that lol Trying to keep the colly practical and low budget and go nuts with my other toy.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah Ive been there before with my s10s of the past... but lesson learned because in WNY I drive too far for work to have a slammed daily in the winter, 2wd no less. Ill save that fun for my summer toy.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
:welcome2: Back to the party!

Keep an eye on the classified section for some deals on lowering parts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks lol Yeah Ive been looking and theres a couple deals out there but still more than Im interested in investing into it right now

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Remember that because your a zq8 your already down an inch with stock springs. 3" drop springs will only get you down 2" from current height. If you do that with 3" block you will sit higher in front.

3" blocks on zq8 leafs will have you ridding on bumpstops.
You can remove them but you will be slapping the frame on dips. I do now on 3" blocks and z85 leafs.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup thats why I asked what I need to cut to achieve a 3" overall front drop. Because then combined with the blocks out back I will be sitting at 3/4 overall.

I saw a post from 08 where Brewer mentioned he trimmed his 3" blocks down to 2.5". I considered this as well to avoid having to cut a ton out of the front springs and keep my bed usable without having to notch.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Have you gone threw the post with all the pic and explanations of peoples setups? You may find exactly what your looking for as far as how much to cut.
Sometimes people that know the answer are not checking this section all the time.
Ive cut lots of springs in the past but never on a 355 so i cant answer this one.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Thats a pretty slick idea cutting the blocks to desired height.
What i would do if i was in this situation is.
Cut a coil off front springs. A 1/4 - 1/2 coil more off pass side to get rid of lean. Set the truck down on ground drive it down street and back or whatever to make sure its settle down and then measure and compare front and rear gap to see exactly how much you want to lower rear. Then cut your block to aachive desired rear drop.

Now im not saying thats any kind of exact science. Just what i would do if i was in this position with what you have already.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good call on that. Would make sense to match the back to the front rather than the other way around because trimming the blocks is a definite drop amount. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
as i remember it, a 2" drop spring on a ZQ8 is only a 1" + a little bit drop.
you will need to cut the front bump stop at least 1/2 way down.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts