Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about we start a thread for positive reviews on HP Tuning work you have had done to your trucks?

Lets hear the stories, I am growing tired of the complaints ruling this tuning forum. Yes, there is good and bad, but lets not let the bad over rule the good that HP Tuning provides for our vehicles!

Some sample questions:

Who tuned you? Mail order or in person tuning? What aspects of the truck were improved? Did you have specific requests and were they fulfilled? Were you happy with the service provided? Was the price reasonable vs. your expectations? How was the customer service, as expected or better than expected? How is the support down the road after the tuning, is the tuner available to answer questions for you, post tuning? Did you use this service again, for any changes or improvements? Would you recommend this service to others?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Who tuned you?

Hey, Gerry...I think your the one that tweaked this colly. :355group:

Mail order or in person tuning?

In person tuning, he was right there beside me holding up traffic on the Garden State...LOL

What aspects of the truck were improved?

The truck is just greatly improved everywhere.

The mods I do have are: Gutted manifold cat and a custom CAI. I got a 89 octane tune

The certain aspects I LIKE are WOT gains and the shift points. This was the main reason for me to get the tune. I havent really done MPG comparisons. The truck is great at cruising speeds and actually knows when to shift now instead of searching for a gear.

Did you have specific requests and were they fulfilled?

Yea, I told Gerry I wanted everything to be performance oriented...He did just that and kept the truck safe for daily driving.

Were you happy with the service provided?

Yes, Gerry gave me a call a couple days before tuning and told me how everything was going to work out. He explained everything to me the day of the tune(quick overview) and explained in detail as we progressed through the tuning process.

Was the price reasonable vs. your expectations?

Yes, by far the best bang for the buck on the truck. I am very pleased with how reasonable the price was.

How was the customer service, as expected or better than expected?
Gerry, I want to thank you one more time...You took your time explaining everything in detail and made sure I understood it. Thanks!

How is the support down the road after the tuning, is the tuner available to answer questions for you, post tuning?

Ive asked a couple questions, through posting questions on forums/pm's and they are always answered within a couple hours!

Did you use this service again, for any changes or improvements?

Not yet, but depending on which way I am going to take this truck...I may need a "special re-tune".....

Would you recommend this service to others?

Anyone that lives in North East region and can get to him...I would greatly recommend the service to them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My truck was tuned by PCMforless, through the mail. 89 octane, gutted cat, high flow intake, #3 on shifts, towing, stock tire size.

Just after I installed it, my truck had to go in for service of the o2 sensor and maf. Not related to the tune. Of course, when they drove it, they felt the firm shift, and reflashed my pcm. I could tell immediately, along with sloppy shifts, I lost some performance. I had deleted my manifold cat at the same time as getting tuned, so I was able to judge how much the tune itself did for performance.

As they promised, I sent the pcm back to them , just paid postage, and they tuned me back to my original request. I love the performance and shifting. I wasn't aware that I would lose the traction control function because of it, but for me, that's not a big issue, still it would have been nice to know.

So they get a thumbs up from me, and I will probably use them again, when or if the dealer reflashes my pcm again, or I decide to go for a 93 octane tune. Or even if I drop an 4.2 in there, they tune the I6 also.

As for getting better gas mileage, I'd say yes, because it's about the same even though we're getting the winter gas here, and I've been heavier on the gas pedal since getting tuned.

So I'm happy with my mail order PCMforless tune! I'm going to try to get a vid make of a burnout.

·
Registered
845 Posts
My truck was tuned by PCMforless, through the mail. 89 octane, gutted cat, high flow intake, #3 on shifts, towing, stock tire size.

Just after I installed it, my truck had to go in for service of the o2 sensor and maf. Not related to the tune. Of course, when they drove it, they felt the firm shift, and reflashed my pcm. I could tell immediately, along with sloppy shifts, I lost some performance. I had deleted my manifold cat at the same time as getting tuned, so I was able to judge how much the tune itself did for performance.

As they promised, I sent the pcm back to them , just paid postage, and they tuned me back to my original request. I love the performance and shifting. I wasn't aware that I would lose the traction control function because of it, but for me, that's not a big issue, still it would have been nice to know.

So they get a thumbs up from me, and I will probably use them again, when or if the dealer reflashes my pcm again, or I decide to go for a 93 octane tune. Or even if I drop an 4.2 in there, they tune the I6 also.

As for getting better gas mileage, I'd say yes, because it's about the same even though we're getting the winter gas here, and I've been heavier on the gas pedal since getting tuned.

So I'm happy with my mail order PCMforless tune! I'm going to try to get a vid make of a burnout.
:roll: Ummm I dont mean to be rude... but yea HP tunes not uhh...yea...

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
:roll: Ummm I dont mean to be rude... but yea HP tunes not uhh...yea...
Yes, PCM4 uses HP Tuners. This thread is for them also to showcase the positives. Whether it be a mail order tune or in person. Whether it be a big company or smaller local guy... Whether it be a street based tune or dyno tune... You get the point...:355:

·
Registered
845 Posts
Yes, PCM4 uses HP Tuners. This thread is for them also to showcase the positives. Whether it be a mail order tune or in person. Whether it be a big company or smaller local guy... Whether it be a street based tune or dyno tune... You get the point...:355:
I apologize then.

I'm not tuned yet but I'm definately looking forward to it. I planned to go w/ current member ZNA03 and he uses HP Tuners. :thumbup: Let's see what happens and wish me the best!

·
Registered
155 Posts
No apology needed. This is a truck forum, so I wasn't issued a crying towel before I posted here.

If I had the choice, yes I would prefer a live tune over a mail order, I would like to push the I5 to the limit then back off slightly and leave it at that. I know the mail order has to play it a little safer because every motor is slightly different and acts a little different to changes. I used to set the points and timing on my vehicles, the good ol chevy 250 I6, and the Ford 200 I6, so I know the same motor with the same tuning will act a little different.

Get tuned, it's the best mod I've had on the truck yet!

·
Premium Member
21,130 Posts
I'll wait for brewer to chime in on this thread

·
Registered
893 Posts
Who tuned you?

Mine was tuned by Doug who goes by EC_Tune on HPTuners.com

Mine was tuned in person.

There was improvment all the way across the board from shift points, top speed, idle, speedo correction etc. etc

I went to him sort of blind. I knew that I wanted the top speed limiter removed / raised and what I ended up with was so much more.

Yes, extremely!!! Doug is a VERY stand up guy and went the extra mile for everything.

I paid probably alot more than what most people would even imagine for the tune. But everything that was done and the time that was put into it was well worth every penny to me.

How is the support down the road after the tuning, is the tuner available to answer questions for you, post tuning?

Yes, actually he has called me on numerous occasions to tell me that there are updates available and if I'm interested he'd hook me up. So I just go meet him half-way from my house to his shop (he comes the other half way) and we log some data and he reworks it right there on the spot. Even after I changed to the 20's he was just a phone call away and recalibrated the speedo using a GPS and confirming it on the HP software.

All the time!!

In fact yes I have recommended his service to most of the guys from around my area.

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doug (EC_Tune) is definitely the man when it comes to HP Tuning and performance in general. He is one of the most helpful and knowledgeable people I know. Whatever you paid him for the tuning, is well worth every penny. I would have him tune my vehicles without thinking twice. It is priceless to never have to worry about the work and count on support down the road. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Who tuned you?

Mine was tuned by Phillip Champoux on Hptunerz. Very nice tune.

In person at the meet we had last year.

Well more usable power range. truck doesnt go into Overdrive while im goin up a hill. Shift points are higher and much more firm. Pretty much everything I can think of is improved.

Yah I said give me power and so he did. My MPG slightly improved as well.

Oh yah.

Yah i guess so i dont have anything to compare too but it seemed reasonable.

Well havent needed any support but at every meet ive attended hes been there and if need be he will re-tune im sure.

No havent needed too.

OH hell yah!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
heres the review i gave for C04Z71 on the nec355.com page:

How goes it everyone? just wanted to post up a review of Gerry (Canyon04z71) and how good he is to work with while tuning these trucks.

i've gotten to know Gerry over the last couple years and he has been a major help in the modding of my truck. I got my PCM tuned by him for the first time in the summer of 2006 and boy did it wake up my truck! that was only the beginning though...

This summer 2007, I went back down to hang out with Gerry and get a re-tune of all the new stuff he had learned and mods I had done. He knows exactly what helps these trucks and owning one himself he spends countless hours tweaking and testing. While there he helped me do the manifold cat deletion mod and then went on to do the re-tune. the truck runs insane now!!! i actually get pushed into the seat if i floor it from a cruising speed. i never thought my truck could run like this naturally aspirated. its been a major step in making my truck into what i dream of. He has always been there to answer my questions also (im a skeptic) and has the knowledge to backup his work.

major ups to Gerry and I HIGHLY recommend him for tuning and any technical 355 help you need.

-Brad, southern NH

·
Registered
893 Posts
Doug (EC_Tune) is definitely the man when it comes to HP Tuning and performance in general. He is one of the most helpful and knowledgeable people I know. Whatever you paid him for the tuning, is well worth every penny. I would have him tune my vehicles without thinking twice. It is priceless to never have to worry about the work and count on support down the road. :thumbup:
I agree with you 110% I couldn't have asked for a better person to square me away!! I'm totally happy with everything he has done!!

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I love how none of the 20+ people i've tuned have posted up in here... guess I do a bad job :lol:

Oh well :shrug:

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
I love how none of the 20+ people i've tuned have posted up in here... guess I do a bad job :lol:

Oh well :shrug:
nah most of us are prolly just lazy... I havent had any problems with Zachs tune, though i think the tire size got messed up somehow.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts