Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished my page on possible turbos for the 3500/3700's. At least for now. Ruth and I have thought about a Colorado/Canyon and would probably end up with a 3700 if we bought one so a turbo for one has entered my mind. If you take a look at the page I've created and have used one of the turbos on it I'd like some feedback if possible. Also I'm interested in any turbo that has been used on these engines so if you are so inclined post here what you are using or PM me and let me know how the turbo has worked out.

There are of course many more turbos that would fit the 3500/3700 other than those I explored so what I've posted in no way implies these are the only turbos to consider or use.

OK here is the link to the page...

Atlas 3500/3700 Turbo Compressor Maps I

Hopefully it will provide some info and some discussion also here,

Sumner

P.S. A sample map from the page...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you overlay a 76mm? Let's use a turbontics t76 map if you have it
I can do that. On Turbonetics they have a HP-76 map...

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/sites/default/files/HP_76.gif

.... but it looks identical to the T-76 map I found elsewhere...

Turbos, Turbo Selection 101

...I'll use the same boost/rpm points I did for the others but if you have different ones or other changes to the input let me know and I'll do a map for those also. Also you are asking for a 3500/3700 and not the V-8 I think you are running now (a 5.3?). If it is the 5.3 then I need the rpm's and boost levels you are looking at.

The 76 can produce some serious HP with 80 lb/min air. What turbine are you thinking of. Turbonetics has the 76 in their Hurricane Series...

Hurricane Turbochargers | www.TurboneticsInc.com - Boosting Since 1978 | turbochargers, intercoolers, wastegates, blow-off valves, controls, boosting systems, turbo kits, forced induction parts & accessories

... with a .96 A/R turbine. It is in a 60 series compressor housing and maybe Jake will comment on possible problems with that. You can of course get the 76 as a non-Hurricane series turbo.

Sumner

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you overlay a 76mm? Let's use a turbontics t76 map if you have it

I thought the 76 might be too big for the 3500/3700 but I was surprised how well it did. It is running in the really efficient area of the map under about all boost/rpm levels. I guess my only thoughts would be that in some situations it looks to be at or over the surge line. That could probably be handled with a ported shroud if it was a problem. Did you run this on a 3700 and if so was there a surge problem at all?

The turbo on the 3700 begs for more rpm than a stock 3700 and more rpm would use all that area to the right side of the efficiency island and build even bigger HP numbers with the increased air over three.

I'm going to run the twin 61's on the 5.3 through MatchBot later. My gut feeling is that they are a good match. How much boost are you running with them and at what rpm points? Also where did you get them? I've had a hard time finding them new for sale. They look like a good turbo for the 2900 and 3700. I ran the map for the 2900 but didn't include it on the page as I couldn't find them for sale. I'm interested in seeing how the 61's on the 5.3 look on the map myself. Do you want me to post here or PM the map to you or are you not interested?

Sumner

·
tinja nurtles
11,837 Posts
Hmm that worked out pretty good it seems. No I don't recall ever having any surge issues.

I trapped 114 at 4100lbs @ 15-16lbs. Also had a 2.3 60' or something dumb. It didn't spool until 100' out or so right before it grabbed 2nd. Trapped 91 in the eighth. Wish I could have made note runs.

And this is with a 3.5 in a crew cab

1 - 8 of 8 Posts