Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Colorado l5 2wd z71
I am driving a lot for doctors appointments, 300 miles round trip, and on the way home, the truck starts hesitating as if losing power, but not losing a lot of rpm until going up hill, then I lose speed when it does it. But then around town the same day it's drastically revving and then losing power all the way across town. Had to go up a hill on the shoulder, lurching and jerking. It's done it twice now, and both times it seems to cool down overnight and then be perfectly drivable the rest of the week until I make another long trip.
Occasionally in the last year that I've had it, the dash and radio would shut off while driving for about a minute and the speed and rpm gages drop to zero. Then everything resets like I've just turned the key on, the lights blink on and then off, except for I think the alarm (lock) light, which would stay lit for at least as long as the truck was still turned on.
Just had the oil changed the day after a 300 mile trip last week, mechanic said oil and trans fluids are all the right consistency, and of course he didn't notice the problem since it had cooled down.
No cel at any point since I've owned it.
I've attached a video of driving around town yesterday after getting back from 300 miles round trip. Turning right at a stop light and going about 3 blocks.
Video
Go easy on me, oh gods of luck, because mine is definitively bad and I can't afford this.

2 timer
You're right, there aren't as may folks on this site as there used to be. The newest of these trucks are a bit over 10 years at this point.

What have you checked so far? Fuel Pump? Tank vapor locking? rubber portions of fuel lines? Grounds are notorious for intermittent issues...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I don't have to drive 200 miles for it to happen anymore, but it's definitely still intermittent. There's no indication as to how to reproduce it on demand. My problem is I don't know what to check, which is why I came here looking for suggestions, so thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I could drive around with the fuel cap off if I thought it was a vapor lock. I drove something once that had the tank vapor locking, but it would make a kind of hiss/whine from the cap. When it happens, I'm still on the throttle, and stepping on it doesn't do anything, it's random how long it takes to get the power back and bring the revs back up to keep driving, and it doesn't always happen. I went shopping and came home with no issues yesterday, about half an hour drive each way, but then it started happening when I drove it again about half the day later.
I did get a couple more video clips last night, I could go from shop to shop and show every mechanic I guess.

2 timer
How many miles are on your truck? I hear good things about cleaning the throttle body. While it may not have a check engine light on, I'd have it checked for any pending codes. Almost any parts store will loan the scanner or can help you in using it. The port is under the steering wheel.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I did have auto zone check for codes and there are none stored. It's got about 142k miles. And unfortunately I know nothing about vortec engines, I'm lucky the old vw engine in my buggy works after I put it together. I don't even know what the throttle body looks like on this thing. It's all covered by plastic components.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts