Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off let me say hello this my first post.

Alright so over the past month or so a chirping, squeaking sound has been developing from the engine. So I fired it up, opened the hood to find that the sound has been coming directly from the power steering pump/pulley area.

My Question is what needs replacing? bearing? pulley? the whole pump?

Note: belt was replaced 2 months ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9OAhnN7fEM&list=UUuVfgnI5RbQSxZ8Hx1FeTww

sorry for shaky vid

also 2009 Colorado, 3.7l 5cyl, 4WD

·
Registered
390 Posts
Mines making same noise when cold then goes away after a min. Thought it was the idler pully replaced that with the new dayco need to be done anyway but now im sure its the power steering.

·
Retired and Sleeping Late
337 Posts
How old is your tensioner? That is almost directly below your p/s pump. Is it possible the noise is coming from there? The pulley on that can be replaced but since you have to remove the tensioner anyhow to do it, it's almost just easier to replace the entire tensioner.

Pull the belt and spin the tensioner pulley to see if it's running smoothly with no noise. At the same time you can do the same test on the p/s pump.

From the video my guess is it's that tensioner pulley.

·
Registered
20 Posts
hello. my 2004 canyon is on its 4th tensioner @ 170k miles. just get a new one. very common problem. they are about 50 to 70 dollars depending on the brand.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Mines not the tensioner I just put a new one in week ago.

Definitely the PSP pulley. After doing the wiggle test you can see it move back n forth

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I have a stock power steering setup in my storage unit. Pulley, reservoir and all. I thought mine was bad until my tensioner locked up and melted my belt lol.

·
Registered
390 Posts
lol that sucks i don't want that to happen to me with the PsP waste of a decent belt.

I sent you a pm about buying your PSP that would be great save me some time on pulling the pulley off. is it used at all ?

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Yea it's used. I bought it off a member here that did a v8 swap. I bought it as a spare but haven't needed it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First off let me say hello this my first post.

Alright so over the past month or so a chirping, squeaking sound has been developing from the engine. So I fired it up, opened the hood to find that the sound has been coming directly from the power steering pump/pulley area.

My Question is what needs replacing? bearing? pulley? the whole pump?

Note: belt was replaced 2 months ago

sorry for shaky vid

also 2009 Colorado, 3.7l 5cyl, 4WD
I bet its the water pump

·
Registered
549 Posts
I bet its the water pump
Welcome to the 355 Nation Codie . A word to the wise here , you just responded to a thread that is six years old . Not a big deal to me but some folks kind of get pissed about things like that , just watch the first post date and think if you really need to add content .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts