Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search and did not see this one. I am getting a leak at the cap on the pump. It just leaked out enough that the fluid did not show on the dip stick. The rack was replaced about a year ago. I have just replaced the cap. Anyone see this and what did you find to be the issue? Can a bad pump pressurize the reservoir and spit out fluid? Can something with the rack cause it to do this? This is a 4x4 4 cylinder with a manual trans.

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
I don't recall any posts in the past regarding that type of leak.

Please update this thread with your findings.

·
CALI BOSS
6,312 Posts
I've had it happen on my 99 Trans Am WS6 after spirited driving on a windy road. The cap has a bad seal and either the sloshing or the heat from working the steering back and forth caused the fluid to leak out. I replaced the cap and didn't have the issue again

·
Registered
142 Posts
I am curious to learn if it is a leaky cap, and the replacement solves the issue, or if a seam in the res has decided to let go. I have not heard of a pump blowing out the cap seal. Hopefully it was just a function of time catching up with that cap, and it could hold its vapors as well as it used to.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick update...my son lives 200 miles from me so only get to work on it when he visits.....replaced cap 2 times. Used GM part. Still leaks. Just installed new pump (AC Delco new not rebuilt) New GM reservoir.....still leaks. Oil next to cap.
The rack was replaced b
y a collision shop about a year ago.it was a rebuilt part. I am thinking the rack is letting too much fluid get sent back to the pump overwhelming it. The fluid had foam in it after I shut the engine off. Not sure if that is normal. I think the next step is the collision shop needs to install a different rack.

·
Registered
530 Posts
If you take it in to a shop they can check the system pressure for you . That way you can see if the rack itself is the problem .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Might be done with this.No leak in well over a week. When we took the ps pump off, it looked like the shaft seal was.leaking. I am thinking it sprayed fluid on the cap and it got trapped above the seal. After we put the new pump on, fluid dripped off the cap onto the reservoir making me think we still had a leak. Should have cleaned the cap off with solvent before we put it back in.Keeping an eye on it....but we may have it fixed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks......what really threw me on this....there were no signs of oil anywhere except the area near the cap. .....well the hood has some too. The pulley was dry as was the serpentine belt. I suspect the radiator fan blew the oil rearward as it went up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts