Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! New here and hoping y'all might be able to help. Im not the most mechanically savvy guy on the planet but ive got some know how. I'm having some issue with power steering lines provided by FABbot power steering adapter. My truck is a 2005 Colorado with an lm7 and using a stock Colorado steering rack. I installed the adapter using the lines that FABbot provided. Line ended up breaking, emailed FABbot and they ended up sending me another line but now this line broke as well. The only thing I can think at this point is that there is a flow or pressure issue causing the line to blow, either that or the line is not rated for the psi that the pump is creating?? Talked to FABbot and they are unsure as to why it continues to break, so I'm basically on my own. I am currently waiting on some ptfe hose and fittings from Racetronix gonna try making my own line and my next stop might be to Napa to see if they can make a hydraulic line and see if another weak point reveals itself. I've looked all over this page and other forums, I found some other issues similar on the ls1 tech talk forum but none that apply directly to what I'm experiencing. I supposed I could go back to stock power steering lines but power steering didn't work unless I was under throttle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Go to a hydraulic shop and have them make you a legit line. Those look cheap to me.

I just had a high pressure hose built a few days ago and it was only $35 and took about 10 minutes to make.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Could a relief/regulator valve be stuck causing overpressure? Unfortunately I don't know much about the steering rack side on these trucks, but the pump is the same GM type 2 pump I've rebuilt a couple times on my Volvo. There should be a relief/regulator valve in the pump that limits the maximum pressure (~1000 PSI), usually only in operation at full steering lock, but if something is wrong down stream, the pump could be putting out full pressure which blows out lines if sustained.

power steering didn't work unless I was under throttle
This makes me think there is something else wrong with the system.

I'm sure you know but just going to restate just in case, the power steering system is positive displacement and the assist works via flow though the system, not dependent directly on pressure. There shouldn't be really "high" (order of 1000 psi) pressure in the system at idle or in operation on the street, unless you are turning into the max lock, are turning the wheel into a rock/immovable object, or there is a clog/restriction/other problem in the system.

Is the pump/fluid getting hot?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the pump/fluid getting hot?

Im not positive on the answer to that? By the time I realized both times, it pissed all over the ground. It was warm but not hot.

I went to a local hardware store and had a line made up. A little overkill but I did it mainly for the fittings to be pressed on a little better. Got a transmission issue now, so im working some other issues out. Ill report back soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts