Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went out to my truck to vent the windows since it's so damn hot down here... and the drivers side went down like normal but when i pressed the passanger side it just clicked (like the sound of the switch sending the signal but nothing else after).

Seems like the motor isn't working for some reason... but it was working perfectly less then 2 hours ago. I'm going to check the fuse so if thats it i'l let you guys know otherwise please leave suggestions of what it could possibly be before i bring it to the dealer for a new window motor :dawg:

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok wierd as hell but I went out and checked the power window fuse (it's one of those big 30A on the right side of the fuse box) attempted to pull the fuse but it didnt come out so I just looked at it since theres a little viewing window on top and it looked exactly like the others so i figured it was fine. Then I pushed it back firmly and checked the window... and it worked!!! :lol: Did it like 10 times and its back to normal.

Sweeeeeeeeeet!

·
Registered
24 Posts
:lol:

That is crazy...

My TransAm window started doing that for awhile...then it'd get 3/4 way up and you'd have to pull it...pretty soon 1/2 way up was all it could muster...you'll definitely know when it's these damn GM motors.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
My TransAm window started doing that for awhile...then it'd get 3/4 way up and you'd have to pull it...pretty soon 1/2 way up was all it could muster...you'll definitely know when it's these damn GM motors.
Omigod, I remember the days of heaving on the camaro windows while holding the switch down, just trying to get it all the way and lined up right...horrors.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
I know on the 3rd gen f-bodies the fix for the slow/weak power window motors was to dissamble them and clean them. I remember reading a write-up about it several years ago when I had my IROC.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If I ever have the same problems with the windows in my truck that I did in the Firebird I will burn the bitch. Major PITA!

Window motor replacement in a 4thgen only took me 25 minutes, and that's never having done it before. :fugrin:

I know on the 3rd gen f-bodies the fix for the slow/weak power window motors was to dissamble them and clean them. I remember reading a write-up about it several years ago when I had my IROC.
:werd2:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Ok wierd as hell but I went out and checked the power window fuse (it's one of those big 30A on the right side of the fuse box) attempted to pull the fuse but it didnt come out so I just looked at it since theres a little viewing window on top and it looked exactly like the others so i figured it was fine. Then I pushed it back firmly and checked the window... and it worked!!! :lol: Did it like 10 times and its back to normal.

Sweeeeeeeeeet!
This has happened to me a couple times, like twice. It would just click, then I would take the key out and put it back in and it would work...weird

M

·
0 Posts
The key to power windows is keeping the channels greased up w/ silicone spray, and occasionally blowing the dust and dirt out of the window actuator and motor. The thing that kills the motor is the fact that dirt and dust build up and overheat it, and the motor has to work 10x harder because the channels aren't lubed.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
ZNA clean the tracks of the window.. this happened to me with my rear passenger side..... i cleaned it out and lubed the crap out of it... it works all the time now

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
The key to power windows is keeping the channels greased up w/ silicone spray, and occasionally blowing the dust and dirt out of the window actuator and motor. The thing that kills the motor is the fact that dirt and dust build up and overheat it, and the motor has to work 10x harder because the channels aren't lubed.
What about some lithium grease?

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
I'm guessing lithium grease all over your windows would get kind of messy.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts

I was talking about greasing the arms that lift/lower the window.
:D

I think he was talking about the felt lined channels that the window rides in.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
That I wouldn't know, although since it's a lubricant I don't see why it would.

M

·
0 Posts
Yeah, I figured as much after your smartarse comment. :lol:

j/k

Another question, would silicone spray end up drying the felt channel/rubber over time?
I don't know that it would dry the channel, but it does evaporate, so you need to reapply it after every wash and periodically between washes, especially during the summer time for you guys out in AZ.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts