Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there are any reasonably priced prerunner style front bumper skid plate combos that i could buy. Im looking for an aggressive bumper that will showcase ground clearance and give it a nice pre runner look.

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
Nope... nothing out there like that. Closest thing is the bullmaxx bar from suspension Maxx which just bolts on over the stock bumper and has no skid.

All others you see are custom made

·
I like beer
2,775 Posts
....or the ADD(addictive desert designs) bumper. Get ready to fork out some cash on that one tho

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
The ADD bumper is pretty bulky and heavy for a pre runner. At $1200-1300 you can find a local shop that can make one for less.
how in your right mind do you think it is heavy thing ways a fraction of the factory bumper i would know i have it on my truck

and id even say its stronger then oem

·
Registered
627 Posts
Patch,

You could have one built at a local fabshop. The diagrams below show the main bar at 1.5" diameter and the lateral uprights at 1" diameter. I changed that during fabrication to 1.75" on the main bar and then 1.25 on the lateral uprights. All tubing had .120 wall and you can use mild steel, DOM or if you have deep pockets you can go with 4130 chromoly. The frame horns were built from 3/16 plate steel and are set at a 45 degree angle. (I chopped off around 2.5 inches from the frame and welded the new boxed horns directly on the frame). I used 1/8" Aluminum plating for the skid. Some people use 1/16" plate steel, but I wanted make less heavier than it had to be.

Here is a photo right after it was welded it to the frame (no paint)

Here are a few photos after I painted it matte black, installed the lights and installed new fiberglass fenders. I should have made it wider to accommodate the 4 inch bulge that the fenders had.

Took me about a day to build, but then I have full shop to work in.
Hope this helps buddy, Let me know if you have any further questions regarding the build.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Patch,

You could have one built at a local fabshop. The diagrams below show the main bar at 1.5" diameter and the lateral uprights at 1" diameter. I changed that during fabrication to 1.75" on the main bar and then 1.25 on the lateral uprights. All tubing had .120 wall and you can use mild steel, DOM or if you have deep pockets you can go with 4130 chromoly. The frame horns were built from 3/16 plate steel and are set at a 45 degree angle. (I chopped off around 2.5 inches from the frame and welded the new boxed horns directly on the frame). I used 1/8" Aluminum plating for the skid. Some people use 1/16" plate steel, but I wanted make less heavier than it had to be.

Here is a photo right after it was welded it to the frame (no paint)

Here are a few photos after I painted it matte black, installed the lights and installed new fiberglass fenders. I should have made it wider to accommodate the 4 inch bulge that the fenders had.

Took me about a day to build, but then I have full shop to work in.
Hope this helps buddy, Let me know if you have any further questions regarding the build.
@snavevans Check out this design!

·
Registered
627 Posts
^^^ Sick

Willing to share a total cost on build?
If my memory serves me right, it was around $145 worth in tubing, and then $40 or so for the plates used for the frame horns and then another $40 for the skid plate and hardware. Probably spent around $50 for Sandpaper, primer and paint. But it really boils down to how much your local fabricator will charge you. Materials are relatively inexpensive, its the labor that gets a bit pricey. Chopping, cutting, prep and use of various types of equipment from tube benders, to notchers, to plasma cutters and welding materials, and stuff adds up fast! Good luck and have fun with your build man! The entire thing probably costed me around $450 - $500 bucks total with parts and labor. Nowhere close to $1,300 bucks, though I do like the way the ADD bumpers look. Only downside to how I did my bumper is that there is no going back to stock, because of the cutting and welding done. The ADD bumper has the bolt on option which in many cases is more preferable to most people who aren't too keen about cutting up their trucks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts