Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying parts for a front-end rebuild.

My truck is a 2005 Z85 2WD with 136K miles, so I'm thinking as long as I'm in there I'm gonna do the front wheel bearings/hubs, with the ABS sensor.

Anyone got a preference for brand?
My mechanic tells me he has lost respect for Moog lately.
He suggested SKF, or Delco.

Got a preference?
Anyone know any screaming deals?

·
Premium Member
5,050 Posts
I've always had good luck with Moog. I use to sell them and they come with a 3 year warranty. I've got both of mine replaced with moogs and it's been about 2-3 years. Timken is a great brand as is SKF. Never had issues out of either

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
51,526 Posts
I just installed some TIMKENs in mine last week.............great product, well packaged and easy install.

Rockauto has had the best prices on them I have seen so far. I got the hub assemblies with the sensors already installed on them as a unit. Mine were $114 per side

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
51,526 Posts
INstall them your self.

remove the whole spindle assemby (disconnect the tie rod, upper and lower ball joints, endlink and disconnect the sensor) an extra set of hands will be needed.

Disassemble on a work bench and reassemble in reverse order. There are specific part numbers for the right and left side @comdrop9073 and I wondered what the diference was if any......but we put them where they belonged.

When you have everything disassembled...........check your upper and lower balljoints......there was my issue.....all 4 were shot to shit. I had them on hand, so it was an easy fix especially with the spindles out of the truck.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Keep your GM vehicle all GM!!!!!!
I'm way-y-y past that, as are many here.

But for something this basic, I can be convinced.
Same time, I know Timken and SKF are quality..

You gotta realize, many basic parts installed on the assembly-line come from suppliers like Timken. Even the replacement parts sold as "Delco" are often supplied by other manufacturers, especially after a vehicle line has been retired.

No auto manufacturer can compete with some of the better manufacturers of things like bearings, etc. It just doesn't pay for them to even try.

I do appreciate the advice though.
I'll take it in the same spirit it was offered :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hate to break it to you but i put a timken bearing on mine and i got about a year out of it before it started making noise again.
Well, it does happen I suppose.

Timken has been making bearings for a very long time, more than 100 years in fact, but...

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
51,526 Posts
I helped @Supermodulation install his TIMKEN hubs about 2 years ago......he's still running strong.

Keep in mind.......there will be defective parts along the line regardless of the brand/manufacture. I know Rockautos customer service is hard to beat......they have been great with returns on defective parts.....just saying.

NOTE: My hubs/bearings/sensors were still fine.......but I have had the truck since new and I had everything apart........why not.

·
Registered
343 Posts
AC Delco parts are the best IMO and only a few bucks more than the Timken brand.
When I was looking, the AC Delco were more expensive than the Timken PLUS you had to buy and install the speed sensor separately for ~$40 each.

Here's the current prices @ RockAuto for a 2004 2WD.
Timken $108
Ac Delco $134 + $40 for the speed sensor.

4WD Hubs are even more.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
When I was looking, the AC Delco were more expensive than the Timken PLUS you had to buy and install the speed sensor separately for ~$40 each.

Here's the current prices @ RockAuto for a 2004 2WD.
Timken $108
Ac Delco $134 + $40 for the speed sensor.

4WD Hubs are even more.
That's just another reason why I'm driving a RWD truck.

You shouldn't have to replace the speed sensors unless you plan on breaking them.

·
Retired and Sleeping Late
457 Posts
I'm a fan of Timken myself.

But one thing to add here, doesn't matter if they're Timken, Ebay, Moog, SKF, etc., use a torque wrench when you tighten the bolts, not a "calibrated elbow".

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm way-y-y past that, as are many here.

But for something this basic, I can be convinced.
Same time, I know Timken and SKF are quality..

You gotta realize, many basic parts installed on the assembly-line come from suppliers like Timken. Even the replacement parts sold as "Delco" are often supplied by other manufacturers, especially after a vehicle line has been retired.

No auto manufacturer can compete with some of the better manufacturers of things like bearings, etc. It just doesn't pay for them to even try.

I do appreciate the advice though.
I'll take it in the same spirit it was offered :thumbup:
I've worked parts, Carquest, Advance, Napa and GM. I've bent wrenches, dealerships, individual shops. All I was doing was mocking the phrase I've seen a thousand times. But there is good, better, best in any parts line.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I'm a fan of Timken myself.

But one thing to add here, doesn't matter if they're Timken, Ebay, Moog, SKF, etc., use a torque wrench when you tighten the bolts, not a "calibrated elbow".
Thanks Sarge, that's always good advice!

Much as I hate admitting it (again) to this group of self-reliant uber-mechanics, I can't do the work myself.
I'm 800 miles from home, been up here in Milwaukee for a year working.
I know that makes me a total sissy as compared to the 355 Nation norm, but I got no place to do the work myself and no time.

Got a great shop here, guy's I've given more of my hard-earned money than I want to think about. (including the time I was here for 6 months also in '12).

In 2012 they:
Installed my Qa1 coilovers + front-end rebuild
Installed my JTR low-profile transmission cross-member
Did a front brake-job
Other routine maintenance

This year they:
Did a transmission flush + power steering flush + radiator flush
Rear diff drain and lube
Installed my rear disc conversion kit
Installed all-new cab-to-frame mounts last week (which feels great btw, unbelievable improvement at 10 years + 135K miles)

The guys at Hands-On Garage are great, and they've proven the quality of their work and integrity to me time after time. When I leave here in a couple months I will sorely miss them.

I'm only doing a front-end rebuild again after only two years because last time (in '12) I had all the parts except the rubber-sorta cushion at the top of the shock/spring.
Also, a year of driving the streets here in Milwaukee is like driving after a prolonged civil war. They have a major freeze-thaw-freeze problem in this area in winter.
This place will rip your suspension to shreds. (Saw a $450K Lamborghini downtown the other day... can't imagine it on these roads).

And, just bought a set of @The Wolf! custom aluminum spring perches for the QA1 setup from @Uncanny355
(thanks again man!). I'm pretty psyched about having those fine custom-crafted-by-Ron pieces available for my front-end and want to get them installed also.

Added to that, my front brakes are due. And my steering rack is leaking slightly.
And I got a new Beltech front sway-bar ready to go on.
And I got a new bushing and shackle for the leafs.

So all together, $$$$$$$$$$$$ !
I ain't got good sense when it comes to that little truck..

Sure is gonna drive great on that long 800-mile drive home in a few weeks though. Like new, only better.

·
the guy that always on
3,721 Posts
And, just bought a set of @The Wolf! custom aluminum spring perches for the QA1 setup from @Uncanny355
(thanks again man!). I'm pretty psyched about having those fine custom-crafted-by-Ron pieces available for my front-end and want to get them installed also.

I'm glad your happy with the deal bro. The will be a nice addition to the qs

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.