Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just rebuilt my motor, almost everything has been replaced/rebuilt in the motor. Got it all installed. New battery as well. Started the truck and everything ran fine. Took it for a drive to the end of the street and back. Stalled out in front of my house. Started and pulled up the driveway and stalled out again. Started and ran for a few seconds then just died. The last time I went to start mid crank it completely lost all power. Now I put the key in and turn I get no lights on the dash with the exception of the anti theft I do hear some clicking noise. No back light, radio, blower motor. My lights next to the emergency flashers luminate, my headlights work, my dome lights work, my keyless entry works with the exception of locking I do not get the horn sound. Sometimes if I turn the key and remove it I'll get backlighting on my guages and blower motor, this is with no key in. I haven't had a chance to check fuses or grounds, dealer suggested it's a ground issue. Tried putting my battery charger on it thinking battery drained and nothing. Any suggestions or ideas will help here. 2008 colorado 3.7

·
Registered
48 Posts
Double check all of the grounds on the side of the block, there is 1 in front of the starter motor and 3 just above the oil pan on drivers side). Also the ground on the end of the battery cable, but I doubt that one is loose since you have headlights and others.

I'll look at my wiring diagrams and see if the PCM, dash lights, radio, blower motor, and horn have grounds in common.

EDIT: I looked, and here are the grounds for a 2009 3.7L Colorado

Battery: G100, G104 (by battery, on block in front of starter)
Starter: Block via contact and bolts
Powertrain Control Module, MAF, IAC: G102 (on block above oil pan)
Dash Lights (via Body Control Module), Blower Motor (via HVAC Module): G106 (passenger side fender)
Radio: G300 (under drivers seat)
Horn and Fuel Pump: G105 (drivers side fender)
Body Control Module: G301 (passenger door sill)
Ignition Coils: G103 (on block above oil pan)

Wow, I'm not seeing any obvious pattern there...

except for the HVAC and Radio, it looks like everything else inside the cab grounds through the BCM...

Short of suggesting you go doublecheck every ground under the hood, I got nothing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need to add it's an aftermarket radio. The power light is on but wont turn on. Will only turn on with ignition on. So it's not an obvious grounding issue in my opinion. To me it's something in the ignition or a computer. Also I do have a aftermarket alarm/remote starter with a bypass module. Dont believe it would be an issue. Does have power. I know the ignition is all ground operated, went through all the wiring when I installed the unit. I also get the 3 horn beep when I connect the battery. So that works too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ when I installed the new battery I used that grease and felt pads. I had to take the terminals off and install the cover. When I reinstalled the terminals I tightened them down tight but i guess the ground is wore out. The grease made it slip with vibration. So I took some pliers and closed it a little reinstalled and its tight and working great.

·
Registered
48 Posts
So all is well now? Glad it was something simple!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that issue is fixed. Still sending a p0017 code. I know it's not out of time. As I set it checked it 3 times and took all the slop out of the chain before final assembly. It runs good but I think its running rich. Used almost 1/8 tank going 40 miles. Threw that same code when I spun my bearing. It's got a new actuator but didnt replace the exhaust cam gear. I dont believe theres an issue with the gear either. Its down to cam sensor or crank sensor per the code. Like I said it seems like it runs rich. Coming to a stop it will die but I can give a little gas and let it slowly get to idle and it will idle fine. Another reason I dont believe its timing or even sensors. I want to try a maf sensor or clean the one I have. Other issues could be o2 sensors. I broke them loose and put anto seize on them so atleast if I need to replace it will be easy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you replace the crank position sensor? The engine would need to relearn if you did....Don't ask me how I know....
I have not only because the relearn requires a hand held reader to do. I have seen reviews where people replace them and dont have any issues so I might just try it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got a scan tool from a friend. Cleared the codes and p0017 hasn't come back but still have the p0449. Still stalls when coming to a stop but only after it's been warmed up. I guess I'll be replacing the evap solenoid. Not much else I can do at this point.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Dont know if this is normal or not. I wasnt on the pedal any more then light pressure. I think at the most it went 50%

1 - 10 of 10 Posts