Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
badlandindustries.com
9,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For several years now I have wanted to convert to 4x4 and install a solid axle. I am by no means an expert or have any real clue what I'm doing but I figured I had gotten to the point that I had a comprehensive understanding of the components and what all goes into this kind of project and I set out to source the parts I needed.

No, this is not a kit, I sourced parts from numerous sources and here we are.

This will not be a how to per say but I will be sufficient in that by following this build you will have a better understanding of what it takes to pull off a build such as this. All in I'll be under $2000. I will lay out the parts and costs later on. Granted only certain parts were bought new one can conceivably complete a build like this for near the same cost.

I will be creating a series of short vlogs that will accompany this thread and pictures herein. Feel free to ask questions and offer tips, tricks and insight as I go through this process.

Here is the link to the first video. From there you can find the rest of the vlogs in the series.
https://youtu.be/wd6aBlK9eR0

·
Registered
520 Posts
Re: SFA Dana 44 install and 4x4 Conversion

I will be following this build!! Even though your 2wd the axle swap should be the same as a 4wd minus a few things you have to add correct??

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts

What Dan ^^^^^ said. Have been thinking and pondering the same kind of build Kmac. Just have to get the wife's truck paid for first. Subscribed.

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts

Interested in this as well cuz my truck will see the same work one day after a motor swap. Good luck Kev!

·
badlandindustries.com
9,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks guys. So yeah the 4wd and 2wd sfa will essentially be the same but I'll have to add the transfer case and shift linkages.
So the axle is a full size from a early 70s k5 Blazer. I picked up the 44 and a 12 Bolt for $300. The 12 Bolt was 4.88s and had a lockrite locker already. So huge score there since a single axle shaft for the stock axle was $260 plus shipping

·
Registered
520 Posts

Thanks guys. So yeah the 4wd and 2wd sfa will essentially be the same but I'll have to add the transfer case and shift linkages.
So the axle is a full size from a early 70s k5 Blazer. I picked up the 44 and a 12 Bolt for $300. The 12 Bolt was 4.88s and had a lockrite locker already. So huge score there since a single axle shaft for the stock axle was $260 plus shipping

Hell ya 4:88 is a perfect score. And both axles for 300? That's a steal. Did you source both them from the blazer? Staying 6 lug I'm
Assuming.

·
Registered
520 Posts

91 suburban np241c pass drop, vss. 2.73 ratio. Manual shift but should work great

Believe that the same case that's in the Blazers in the early 80s? Or something. @gway was telling me that's what he got his outta. I
Forget the exact years though.

1 - 20 of 171 Posts