Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

project: Betty White . V8 6.0 Turbo LS with 4L80 sleeper

28302 Views 182 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  sailorman andrew
so after recently selling a 72 chevy c10 I had, and having some money in the bank, I decided I wanted to build a newer FI motor for something as I was tired of having to tune the carb on the truck I had, plus I wanted something smaller than a long bed C10, I originally was going to go with a short bed Silverado and turbo it, but after watching a youtube video, the regular car reviews / sloppymechanics turbo Colorado video, I had the bug, I was like a pitbull for information on this truck, as it was akin to doing a V8 s10 that I always wanted to do, but for me it was something newer and nicer, and at 6'5 290 I could fit in comfortably.

fast forward to 2 months of searching online, and I come across this: an 05 Colorado work truck, automatic, 4cyl, ice cold AC, with an ARE fiberglass lid, the ad said it was a delivery truck for the Massey Cadillac dealerships around town, asking price 3500. went down and looked at it, at this little car lot / performance shop, and the guy tells me he buys the lower priced cars, cleans them up a little and sells them for a few bucks over his cost, hey everyones gotta eat right. i look at it, take it for a test drive, and when i come back i tell him maybe a clunk in the steering rack 220k miles is a lot, its massey pest control not massey Cadillac dealership (i knew cause of the vinyl wrap color scheme and the middleton pest control inventory sticker in the drivers door jamb)

guy says 2500 and its mine, told him id have to sleep on it blah blah blah. cut to two days later and with negotiations ive got it for 2500 out the door including sales tax, so roughly 2200 plus tax. now you figure that fiberglass lid that was included is a 500-600 component, plus the bed was already rhinolined, i did pretty decent.

i found pictures of the truck before it got to the dealer i had purchased it from, thru a vin search online:

See less See more
41 - 60 of 183 Posts
I was going to recommend these guys Harrell & Beverly Transmissions & Auto Repair - Home in Sanford. They are a few blocks from my house and the owners, Don and Alvin Beverly are good friends of mine. I don't know if they do racing transmissions (I have never asked) but I do know that they are absolutely trustworthy and are downright anal about doing the job right. They are not cheap, but you usually have to choose between cheap and good. They are very good at what they do and are the only ones I allow to touch my truck. They are also honest enough to tell you up front if a racing transmission is not their cup of tea.
Oh dang, I didn't realize this build was in orlando. That is right around the corner from me (Deland). I'd love to check this thing out sometime.
Oh dang, I didn't realize this build was in orlando. That is right around the corner from me (Deland). I'd love to check this thing out sometime.
If you live across the river from me in Deland, how come I had to go all the way to Tallahassee to see your truck? :esquint:
slowly pecking away at the truck

got a 50w X 2ch Bluetooth amp with plastic case for $16 shipped from china, Fuck this thing gets loud with the 2 old JBL 4's ive had since I was in highschool. cant imagine the output at full volume with 6x9s

removed the spare tire lift/carrier off the back to make room for future transmission cooler, im thinking Derale stacked plate with electric fan

See less See more
so that I only have to buy once cry once, I came up with a cardboard mockup of the Derale stacked plate cooler that will cool the transmission. its the 25 row model, I think part number 13960 , like $220 online including fan and all. OAL is 13Wx 9D x 5.75H, this includes mounting brackets and all. The inlet and outlet are along the longer side, the front to back looking mounting have the AN lines coming in straight when from the passenger frame rail pointing towards the passenger frame rail, and if I do the left to right mounting the inlet and outlet will have to have 90 degrees since they will be pointing forward but still the lines feed from the passenger side. I've also gotta wait till the thing gets here to finalize which way it will go, left to right looks best to the eye but front to back so far seems the best without use of threaded hex standoffs .

and for random forum knowledge, the ultra clean mounting area between cutouts where the spare tire carrier goes is 20W x 13D x 4T , but if you want usable area if you wanna cram a lot of crap back there is 34W x 13D x 4T

See less See more
I received my hyper cooler stacked plate setup from Jet, which is a smoking deal looking online, they had the kit I needed , updated part number 13760 which is the other one minus the hose and fittings I would use anyways, summits and jegs had them for $230 or more, Jet.com had it for 200, and they had some new customer 15% off promo for the next two weeks, so it took another 30 off, and free shipping and no tax (better than amazon) , so I paid $170 for this lovely unit shipped.

FedEx's way of protecting during hurricanes

and the money shot:
See less See more
so anyone in Orlando will know this place, went by Skycraft and got this setup, 1/4-20 threading, 1 inch bolt, 7/8 hex standoff, and security bit screws, for a grand total of $4 out the door

drilled the holes and locktited in the standoffs, still have to take it out to wire it up (waiting on the waterproof pigtails) and then I will clean the underside then

temporarily installed but not final

plenty of room for the 90 degree fittings
See less See more
^^ Clean install :thumbup:
Got the 10ga pigtails in. Soldered in the first one to the fan, making it modular if need to remove or service. The Hotside will have its pins shrouded in the connector so no chance of shorting out against the chassis.

Wires are lineman twisted, soldered with lead based solder with a 200 watt solder gun , each wire heat shrinked, then both of those have a larger piece of heat shrink over that to protect them and minimize movement, and then the full wire harness loom over it from factory , most likely will use split loom to protect the wiring from the elements and zip tied along the braided AN line for the transmission. This is why people hire me to fix their car audio setups, I fix other people's fuckups and slightly OCD Lol

See less See more
Machine shop finally getting to me on the build list

So I get a phone call from them yesterday , the ARP crank main stud kit one of the bolts doesn't have threading on it

...... Yeah you heard it right.

Called up ARP and of course they were like oh that's impossible , called up the supplier I bought it from off ebay and they called arp and magically 2hrs after phone call ARP morning overnighted me a bolt from cali to florida. Thank you ARP for resolving the issue very fast.
See less See more
Wonder what this could be .... 3 months and $1600 later (evil grin )

See less See more
CP box of goodies comes in and it isn't already full of fluids and prepping for 1st crank video?

So shameful... lol
Hell the motor is still at the machine shop and about to get the trans inspected.

See less See more
And now for the fun

Here's the actual harness from CPW

Apparently my van MAF won't work for this setup so I have to goto a trailblazer SS MAF or switch over to speed density setup. Just need to learn more

Rough layout
See less See more
sorry for the lack of updates just been busy

ordered this pressure washer from ebay, 4GPM cat pump with Honda 390 motor, gonna try to clean the frame a little bit

stopped by the machine shop after traveling for work, they were doing the valvejob for the heads and were about to deck the heads too so took a quick pic while stopping by while running errands. slowly but surely coming to being finished
See less See more
This is gonna be AWESOME!!!! Something bugs me about it though. I can't put my finger on it.
This is gonna be AWESOME!!!! Something bugs me about it though. I can't put my finger on it.
Was that suppose to be a pun or something irritating ya ?

And the head photo was post valve job pre head gasket surface machining
Was that suppose to be a pun or something irritating ya ?

And the head photo was post valve job pre head gasket surface machining
It was a pun. Bug truck... bugging me... put my finger on it....

I love this build!!
so stopped by the machine shop, heads are completely done, cleaned, machined, new valvesprings and all that shit installed, even measured out per valve for load and all that.

engine is getting slightly upgraded pistons since hes gotta go 20 over to make everything proper.

still gotta find a transmission guy to go thru the trans to check it since the last guy I was suppose to get it done thru didn't seem to be interested in taking my money lol, he said he would get me prices on labor and parts and never called me back
41 - 60 of 183 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.