Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a creative name right? I know im horrible :(

Anyway

Here is my 2012 V8 Colorado Crew Cab Z71 4x4 leather etc. With only 18k on the clock shes barely broken in if that and with my mod bug I need to do something asap.

So ive decided I like the Rancho 4" lift kit, and Pro Comp Vapor wheels which will be my setup. After that maybe a cowl hood and a few engine mods such as a cam, intake, and tune. MAYBE an exhaust, but compared to my last car I like how quiet this is and might run this for a while.

Now from what Im understanding the lift kit as is from rancho the rear might be sitting a little lower in the rear than the front? Some people say buy the 2" AAL and it will be level?

Just trying to get all my ducks in a row before I fire.

Was looking at the kit here.

Rancho Suspension Lift System - Chevrolet/GMC Colorado, Canyon - Truck Customizers

couple quick questions....

1.) With aluminum drive shaft or not. How do I find out which one I have?

2.) It says it ends at 2011. Will this fit my 2012? Anything different with the V8 motor?

3.) Wheels have to be 4.5 inches of backspacing correct? Will a 9 inch wheel work otherwise?

Thank you for any and all help. Ive been trying to read as much as I can, I just like to double and triple check my work first before I spend that amount of money.

·
Premium Member
10,390 Posts
If you look at the part numbers on ranchos page the lift is the same for all driveshafts not sure why they list it like they do RS6569B is the kit you want

The rancho lifts the front 4" if you don't do additional t-bar crank , the rear lifts 2" so it makes the truck level but most everyone cranks the front an extra inch or two , that and most want the rear a little higher than the front so they get a aal also

Your 2012 v8 is just the same as my 2011 v8 and I used the same rancho part number I posted above so no worries there

Search RS6569B on google and you can find some better deals on the kit , about twice a year rancho does a deal for a 400$ gift card if you buy there kit and shocks they mail you a 400$ visa gift card but it does not look like they are doing that atm

·
Premium Member
10,390 Posts
Oh and the 9" wide with 4.75 might work . I had 17x9 4.25" bs and had plenty of room , the 4.75 will sit in a 1/2" more but I think it might fit but can't say for sure , worst case you might have to get 1/4" spacers to push the wheels out

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. Do you have any motor work ? Im looking at intake and dyno tune for now. Anyone make headers for the v8 ?

·
I'm doing SCIENCE!
489 Posts
What a creative name right? I know im horrible :(

Anyway

Here is my 2012 V8 Colorado Crew Cab Z71 4x4 leather etc. With only 18k on the clock shes barely broken in if that and with my mod bug I need to do something asap.
We have identical trucks! Mine is just about to role over 18k as well. :salute:

Thanks for the help. Do you have any motor work ? Im looking at intake and dyno tune for now. Anyone make headers for the v8 ?
OTTP makes some headers, as does Doug Thorley. DT claims they don't fit the torsion bar trucks, but several people have put them on. Both require some, ahem, 'light massaging' to fit right.

Supermod makes a ported throttle body and an electric fan conversion that gets rid of the crazy clutch-fan roar.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was considering the ported throttle body before my dyno tune as well.

I will not buy from OTTP. I come from cobaltss.net forum where I am a moderator, and there has been many problems with Josh for years. Ever since Sean left its just been downhill.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so this kit....

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Rancho-RS6569B-Suspension-System/dp/B004YJSSZ2[/ame]

Front Shock: RS5610

Rear Shock: RS5190

I don't plan on turning the torsion bars at all. With this kit I should sit level correct? If anything a 1" AAL will make it level or 2"? Also will I need to worry about the driveshaft at all with that much lift in the rear?

Also with the 9" wide wheels I want a 4.5 backspacing with 0 offset correct?

Tires im looking at: Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs 285/70/17

Thoughts?

Again thank you for everyone's help. Ive lowered everything ive owned and can do it in my sleep. Lifting is a whole new world to me that's why I keep double and triple checking everything.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ok so this kit....

http://www.amazon.com/Rancho-RS6569B-Suspension-System/dp/B004YJSSZ2

Front Shock: RS5610

Rear Shock: RS5190

I don't plan on turning the torsion bars at all. With this kit I should sit level correct? If anything a 1" AAL will make it level or 2"? Also will I need to worry about the driveshaft at all with that much lift in the rear?

Also with the 9" wide wheels I want a 4.5 backspacing with 0 offset correct?

Tires im looking at: Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs 285/70/17

Thoughts?

Again thank you for everyone's help. Ive lowered everything ive owned and can do it in my sleep. Lifting is a whole new world to me that's why I keep double and triple checking everything.
I may be wrong but isn't 0 offset 5" backspacing on a 9" wide wheel?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:salute:
On a 9" wheel you'll want -12mm offset to achieve 4.5" backspace.
Ah thanks. Im going to world of wheels boston next month and they have rediculous deals, so i want to figure out maybe a rim or two with offsets etc so i can get the correct size when i go.

How is the tire size on that wheel that i have listed above?

·
Registered
182 Posts
:salute:

Ah thanks. Im going to world of wheels boston next month and they have rediculous deals, so i want to figure out maybe a rim or two with offsets etc so i can get the correct size when i go.

How is the tire size on that wheel that i have listed above?
I think a 285 70 17 will look good on a 9" wide wheel and you shouldn't run into any rubbing problems with 4.5 backspace.

http://www.customwheeloffset.com/tire-wheel-backspacing-offset-calculators

For backspacing questions just use the above site. Just plug in width and offset and it gives backspace.

·
I'm doing SCIENCE!
489 Posts
awesome thanks, I think I got it down now.

What do you think about the lift kit I posted in post 7
The Rancho RS6569B 4" lift kit is one of the kits recommended by people on this board as being a good lift for the money. You can go higher with the CST lift, but it's only 1 more inch, and it costs significantly more.

·
I'm doing SCIENCE!
489 Posts
Everything you need comes in the lift kit, no issues unless you soa the rear, where you may run into issues.
Yep, if you go SOA (Spring Over Axle, whereas we have Spring Under Axle from the factory) on the rear you're going to need a longer drive shaft as it really lifts things in the back. But as long as you just do the add-a-leaf or shackles (not sure what comes with the Rancho kit, but I'd do the add-a-leaf personally) you'll be fine. Might need to tweak the brake line and parking brake cable mounts, but that's not a big deal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts